Question

5G home internet showing incorrect local area

• 11 February 2022
  • 1 reply

Badge

Hello, 

We have the Tmobile home 5G internet in Zip 74075 Stillwater, Ok. However when we connect to any google service it says we are in the Dallas TX area. Of course this causes issues with searching google  , websites checking area and now letting me watch youtubeTV I cannot watch local programs live because is says I am out of my home area. I do not want to change my home area to Dalls when it should be Oklahoma City area. We are over 250 Miles away from Dallas TX, any ideas? Can Tmobile change my IP address so its local?  

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Their system functions like a VPN... so you will get geolocated based on your exit to the upstream backbone.

If you power down for a while, it may latch to a different area.  Mileage may very on that though.

Mine usually swaps between Charlotte and Atlanta, but I am in Florence SC.  I have noticed the routing fairs better going through Atlanta, even though that is WAY off from my actual location.

Once in a blue moon I will hit Columbia, which is much closer to the Pee Dee region, but still a good ways off (we are closer to Myrtle Beach).