Question

802.1x authentication issue over T-mobile 5G internet

• 14 September 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge

Ever since I switched to T-mobile 5G internet connection, my hardware vpn connection to my office doesn’t work. Here is the topology,

Windows 10 laptop ---->Cisco vpn router --→ Tmobile 5G gateway ---->Internet --->Office VPN headend.

On my windows laptop, I get 802.1x authentication failure and my laptop cannot connect to office domain.

802.1x authentication works if I switch back to my older ISP connection!

It seems T-mobile 5G network is somehow blocking 802.1x authentication packets.

Anyone else having this issue?

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

If you are familiar with Wireshark you can run a packet capture and confirm the supplicant sent the EAP-START message and receives the EAP-REQUEST IDENTITY message from the authenticator.

If the supplicant does transmit the EAP-START message but does not receive the EAP-REQUEST IDENTITY message from the authenticator then it is clear the communication between the two through the VPN tunnel is failing with the initial session startup exchange. 

Run a packet capture with the solution working and failing and compare where the communication breaks down. You should have some debug information in the Cisco VPN router that can provide some enlightenment to be sure the VPN tunnel is established through the T-Mobile routing paths.

How to I get a VPN that covers everything that is using the Gateway access to wifi?