Solved

Adding Google Nest Mesh To Existing T-Mobile KVD

• 22 March 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I have an existing and working T-Mobile Home Internet system. I would like to extend the Wifi to my entire house. In order to accomplish this I am adding a Google Nest Mesh. When I set up the nest by connecting to the KVD via an ethernet cable, do I add another SSID? Then I would have 2 networks correct? (the existing SSID from the KVD and a new SSID from the nest)

Thanks

icon

Best answer by bocaboy2591 22 March 2023, 18:43

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Unfortunately, you can't shut off the WiFi network on the KVD21. Worse, you can't disable DHCP either. If you're going to connect a router (mesh or otherwise) to the Arcadyan KVD21 5G gateway, you'll need to disable DHCP on the router and put the router into Access Point Mode.

There would be no harm in giving the KVD21’s WiFi a name that is unique and remains unused. Then use the Google mesh network as your primary WiFi. You'll have a lot of “signal” in your home, but if you're determined to use an external router, that would be the way to do it.

Good luck!

Similar question, but my T-mobile device is a FAST 5588W. It looks like my Google wifi devices insist that one of them be the router which must be hard-wired to the modem.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

It's the same situation with the 5588W as with the Arcadyan KVD21 5G gateway. You must run an Ethernet cable from the 5588W gateway (use one of the yellow Ethernet ports on the back of the gateway) to your Google router. You'll still need to put your Google device into Access Point Mode to avoid the DHCP problem.

I have had T-Mobile since June.    Had lists of internet issues at first.  Got those all taken care of.  Things have been great.   Except for Now all of a sudden we do not get any service in our basement😡.   Any suggestions?   I don’t want to go back to Spectrum.   But I am really considering it.  

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@Tab6001, if you let the community know what TMO HI 5G gateway you have it will allow someone to better help you.  Also, whether your gateway is connected to a router, and if so, the brand and model of the router.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

@Tab6001Have you considered a WiFi extender for your wireless network? I use a Netgear EX2700 , and it’s very good at filling in the dead spot I have with one location in my home. The dead zone has been the same whether I had Xfinity or TMHI. They're relatively inexpensive, easy to install and set up, and very effective. I bought mine in 2018, and it's been in daily use ever since.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Badge

“Hint Control” will allow you to turn off the Wi-Fi on the KVD21.  https://tmo.report/2023/05/new-app-gives-easy-access-to-t-mobile-home-internet-gateway-stats/