Question

All devices connect to home 5G except Microsoft Surface. What to do?

• 7 July 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

I just set up my T-mobile 5G home internet and have connected my TV’s, my Android phone, my thermostat, my Roomba floor robot, my door lock, my wife’s MacBook, everything except my Microsoft surface running Windows 10. This device connects to other wifi networks with no issues. My desktop PC on Windows 11 connected with no issues. The Surface sees my wifi network name, it lets me enter my password, then it says my connection is secured but “can’t connect to this network.” When I check the settings, it says my wifi adapter has the latest driver installed. WTH? What can I do? This could be the proverbial straw that breaks the camel’s back, as this is the most used device in my household. Thanks for any help.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Have you tried separating the 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi?  If that doesn’t work, try lowering the security for the 2.4GHz to WPA/WPA2 for better compatibility.  

Syaoran- how do you do this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

You can do it through the app that you used to setup your T-Mobile Home Internet.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I have a Surface Laptop 4.   It connects to the 5Ghz SSID using WPA2.

SSID:    TMOBILE-5G
Protocol:    Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax)
Security type:    WPA2-Personal
Network band:    5 GHz
Network channel:    52
Link speed (Receive/Transmit):    576/155 (Mbps)
Manufacturer:    Intel Corporation
Description:    Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz
Driver version:    22.40.0.7

In the T-Mobile Gateway I have the 5GHz SSID Encryption Mode set to:

WPA2/WPA3 (AES)

I have a Surface Laptop 4.   It connects to the 5Ghz SSID using WPA2.

SSID:    TMOBILE-5G
Protocol:    Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax)
Security type:    WPA2-Personal
Network band:    5 GHz
Network channel:    52
Link speed (Receive/Transmit):    576/155 (Mbps)
Manufacturer:    Intel Corporation
Description:    Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz
Driver version:    22.40.0.7

In the T-Mobile Gateway I have the 5GHz SSID Encryption Mode set to:

WPA2/WPA3 (AES)

Thank you very much cjake. I had to get a new gateway because my old one stopped working. I have a Surface Pro 3 that still is in excellent condition, but I was about to throw it in front of the snowplow from all the hours wasted trying to get it to connect to the new gateway. The t-mobile customer service is great, but 2 different people had no idea how to get it to connect. 

For me, I needed to do exactly what cjake has above except with the network band mine is set at the 2.4GHz and the WPA Version was set only to WPA2. Everything I did was done through the T-mobile internet app.