Question

Brother Printers won't connect to Windows 10 22H2 via Gateway

• 31 January 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge

I have been very happy with my new Gateway (Sagecom) from T-Mobile. However, I have been stuck for the last week trying to connect a pair of Brother printers to my Windows 10 (22H2 update) PC. The printers are an HL-L8260CDW and an MFC-L2707DW. Both printers recognize the 2.4 Ghz network I established. Both are “seen” by the T-Mobile App. The PC operates just fine on that same 2.4 Ghz network, as do my dozen smart switches, my three Alexa devices, and my laptop. I finally have connected both printers via USB cables, but cannot get them to work via WIFI. When trying to get them via WIFI, The MFC printer shows up on my Windows Printers list, but is “offline”. The HL-L8260CDW actually shows up, but when I try a test page, it comes back with “printer busy or error” notice. I have tried various combinations of rebooting printer, PC, and Gateway - reboot and unplug/replug. T-Mobile local referred me to 611 support. They worked with me for a while, then referred me to Brother tech support. Brother support referred me to a generic step-by-step troubleshooting procedure, but it didn’t work. BTW, both the local Asst. Mgr and T-Mobile tech support said they are having printer connection issues they are also fighting themselves. Any ideas that have worked? The USB connection allows me to print, but it is a dead-end, since the wife’s laptop and my phones can’t print while the USB is hooked up. 

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Give this a try and see if it doesn't help.

Try adding a new WiFi network just for the printers. Use the T-Mobile app and tap the Network tab on the bottom of the screen, then the “+” button on the lower right. Create a new 2.4 GHz WiFi network with a unique name (SSID), just for your printer(s). Make sure the WPA type is WPA/WPA2. This is different from your main network which, by default, is WPA2/WPA3. See if that doesn't allow your printers to connect.

Another thing to look at is DHCP. Make sure that both printers are set to DHCP for obtaining an IP address. It may help to actually reset the network settings on your printers and make sure that whatever settings were in there for networking are completely erased.

Lastly, check that the networks on the gateway aren't Hidden. Again, using the T-Mobile app, tap the Networks tab at the bottom and then the network itself. Scroll to the bottom and make sure that Hidden is turned off. If it is Hidden, slide the switch to the left disable it, then click Save.

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I am assuming that all your devices are connected directly to the T-Mobile gateway via Wifi without going through another router, and you used to have a Wifi router when you initially set up your printers and PC.

Since you have migrated to a new Wifi network, IP addresses of all your devices have changed. Therefore, the Brother printers set up on your PC are no longer valid since your PC only recognizes them by their old IP addresses.  You will need to delete those printers on your PC, and then follow the process described in the printer manual to re-discover those printers in the new Wifi network. 

Badge

Your assumptions are correct.  I did that a couple of times. Thanks for the idea. But no joy. The PC still can't print to them over wifi.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I’m not too sure how old your Brother printer is but mine as an example, requires 2.4GHz with security set to WEP.  Once you have it connected to wireless, you need to rerun your setup on your PC to redect the printer over wireless.  

I had the same issue.  I had to buy a wireless Network extender )https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BBRG1QXP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and connect it wirelessly to the Gateway.  Then I had to run an ethernet cable from the extender to the printer.  Finally, reset the network settings on the printer panel to put it on the same subnet as the gateway.  Since I also had an older printer, I had to update the software on the printer.  

Hope this helps.

Give this a try and see if it doesn't help.

Try adding a new WiFi network just for the printers. Use the T-Mobile app and tap the Network tab on the bottom of the screen, then the “+” button on the lower right. Create a new 2.4 GHz WiFi network with a unique name (SSID), just for your printer(s). Make sure the WPA type is WPA/WPA2. This is different from your main network which, by default, is WPA2/WPA3. See if that doesn't allow your printers to connect.

Another thing to look at is DHCP. Make sure that both printers are set to DHCP for obtaining an IP address. It may help to actually reset the network settings on your printers and make sure that whatever settings were in there for networking are completely erased.

Lastly, check that the networks on the gateway aren't Hidden. Again, using the T-Mobile app, tap the Networks tab at the bottom and then the network itself. Scroll to the bottom and make sure that Hidden is turned off. If it is Hidden, slide the switch to the left disable it, then click Save.

Hope this helps!

This approach worked for me, after trying multiple times. Thank you!