Solved

Canon printer will not connect to T-Mobile 5G Gateway home internet

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have the Arcadyan KVD21 Gateway and a Canon PIXMA TR4520 printer. I have tried multiple methods to connect the printer to the T-Mobile wifi network and am still unsuccessful. Currently, I am attempting setup using the Canon Wi-Fi Connection Assistant. In Network Settings, the T-Mobile network encryption type shows up as Do Not Use. Is there a way to change the encryption type on the network? Would that enable the printer to access the T-Mobile wifi? Any and all suggestion welcome. I have tried T-Mobile tech support, but they cannot help, saying it's a printer issue.

icon

Best answer by SSW 15 September 2022, 02:51

View original

49 replies

1. I have a very similar issue only the gateway was originally connected to my Canon MX922 printer, it’s only after I went back to the orig name and passcode for the gateway that I can’t connect it again.   I use a MacBook iOs version 10.15.7.  There are 6 devices connected to the gateway.  I think one of them is the printer as I see it on the list when I try to connect to it on the printer.  There is no access point on the gateway.  I just want to enter the new password which it won’t allow me to do.  I’ve checked with canon.  They don’t have a fix.

Canon G5020 won’t connect to home internet tower.  It sees the name of the tower when I try to do setup on the printer but won’t auto connect.  If I use manual connect, i type in the password from back of tower but it says wrong.  I have 6 other devices connected, know how to type and have typed it in over a dozen different days and times trying to get a miracle to happen.  What do I need to do?  

Userlevel 1
Badge

For my Pixma MG5420, I had to change the WPA version on the Tmobile gateway app (Network tab, select your wifi network, under WPA version, change to WPA/WPA2 from WPA2/WPA3).  Then on the printer, go to Device Settings ->LAN settings, ->wireless lan setup, ->Other setup options, ->Standard setup,->select access point, → Directly enter the access point name, then manually enter your wifi network and the passcode.  Voila!  This is after a fruitless call to Tmobile tech support, which described the problem I had connecting to a printer problem, and transfer me to Cannon tech support, which never connected me to a live person, but instead directed me to their website, then hung up.

Badge

What SSW posted will probably fix it. Change the encryption to WPA/WPA2. I had a Microsoft Surface Pro tablet that wouldn’t connect because of that.

Thank you SSW, that absolutely fixed it!!!!!

SSW, you helped me, too - thanks so much!

Thank you so much!  I have been struggling with this issue for a month or so on my Canon PIXMA 922 printer.

I now have a working printer.  YEAH!!!

Thank you sooo much for this. Was having the hardest time figuring it out. Thank you. 

Thanks SSW.  Your suggestion helped me work through getting my ancient Canon MX870 connected to the gateway.  
Now, on to the PIXMA 5300 printer.

Toyman

Trying to connect my Canon PIXMA MX492 printer to the gateway.  On the solution offered above we're told to enter the "access point name" on the printer setup.  Is this the same as the gateway network name?  If not, where do I find the access point name?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Access point name is the name of your wifi network.

Thanks.  The instructions said to enter the access point name, then the network name and password.  Seems strange to enter the network name twice.

The printer wants me to push the WPS button on the router.  There is no WPS button on it!

All is well, now.  I followed the suggestions and, finally, my network name appeared on my printer.  I selected it and was then prompted for the password.  It was then connected to my network.  Hallelujah!!

I don’t have a screen on my Printer and even through the app it’s different seems like to get the device settings mine is the MG3600 series 

All is well, now.  I followed the suggestions and, finally, my network name appeared on my printer.  I selected it and was then prompted for the password.  It was then connected to my network.  Hallelujah!!

Hello,

I have a Pixma MX492 too!

I can't connect and trying to follow the instructions listed here.  I switched to access point in standard setup and that doesn’t change anything whether that or Wireless LAN.  I also changed on the Gateway to WPA/WPA2 from WPA2/WP3.

The printer finds the TMobile Home Internet Gateway. When I connect it says failed and never asks for a password.

Did it ask for a password for you?

All my other devices are connecting with issue.

Canon Support won't bother talking and directs to website :(

Thanks so much!!

SSW rocked it. I’ve been working on the connect for 2 days. Much thx for your detailed help!

Hello,

I have a Pixma MX492 too!

I can't connect and trying to follow the instructions listed here.  I switched to access point in standard setup and that doesn’t change anything whether that or Wireless LAN.  I also changed on the Gateway to WPA/WPA2 from WPA2/WP3.

The printer finds the TMobile Home Internet Gateway. When I connect it says failed and never asks for a password.

Did it ask for a password for you?

All my other devices are connecting with issue.

Canon Support won't bother talking and directs to website :(

Thanks so much!!

I also have a Canon PIXMA MX492 and am having the same problem you mentioned above. The printer finds my network but never asks for a password and doesn't connect. Wondering if you ever found a solution that worked?

Thank you!

I am having the same issue and cannot get it to work using any of the solutions above.  I have a Canon TR4520 and just got the T-Mobile gateway tower.  I can see my Wi-Fi network; however, it doesn’t let me enter a password.  T-Mobile connects me to Canon, and Canon wants $20 just to speak with me.  Has anyone found a solution?

OMG, thank you so much SSW! After hours of stress, I Followed your instructions and had my printer working in no time!  Now to find the best security for my WiFi and devices. All Apple, with T-Mobile WF. Any suggestions appreciated! 

So I did the above mentioned - My printer find the network but does not allow me to enter a password (mind you if I pick any other network listed when I search they all pop up for a password prompt) anyone have any idea?

My canon printer TS5120 will not connect to the T-Mobile box I have tried everything 

I had to update my printer drivers and then it worked fine

Thanks for the share!!

So just the quick tips that through my experience is 1. Choose 2.5ghz, 2. WPS/WPS2 3. manually choose the network and type password. 

Good Luck!

Hello.

I changed to TMobile Gateway and tried SSW’s suggestions but my Canon Pixma TS6220 does not have the choices listed to try those step. I absolutely need to print and I cannot get any help from Canon and have already tried the Advanced (3 tiers up) at TMobile for over an hour with no luck.

The printer finds the Gateway but never shows the screen to enter a password. 

I thought maybe I should delete the printer from my iMac “Printers and Scanners” and start over, and now it doesn’t show at all (I guess because it’s not on the network….duh)

OMG…..can someone help me in anyway?