Solved

Does the NOK 5G21 Gateway have a bug in the LAN connections?

Badge

See this for an intro:

I have reason to suspect a problem or bug when a device is connected to a LAN port, It see regular intermittent “No Internet” status. Yet other devices connect to the gateway over WiFi seem very stable.

Could this really be a problem that has not been noticed before? seriously?

I’m no stranger to this, I studied electronics and telecoms, and have worked in software for decades, I’m not as up to date as I could be by I’m also far from being a novice…

A wifi connected Windows Surface displays a connected icon in task bar all the time, But the LAN connected Windows PC shows the globe symbol repeatedly as the connection is lost and reestablished.

So what I thought was a gateway issue, loss of 5G signal etc, looks now to be nothing of the sort, it could be a problem in the LAN manager part of the gateway...

icon

Best answer by rockstr 9 June 2022, 07:43

View original

13 replies

Badge

The cable being used now in a test is white, 4ft long, flat CAT.5E this cables works fine when used with the my WiFi extender that’s connect to our DSL system. But the same cable used to connect to the gateway sees up/down, up/down, up/down errors over and over,

I have a lot of cables around here and believe this is the one included with the gateway.

At the same time, my Surface is connected to the gateway by WiFi and is solid, seeing a continuous connection, streaming a radio service in which is playing fine…

One more detail, when I set this up this morning I used that cable and initially saw total stability as I Played around with it all for an hour or so. The I repowerd the device as I was doing stuiff and the instability was there.

Badge

Tried a CAT 6 cable, same problem. The PC network card just reports connection established at 1Gbps then a few secs later disconnected, over and over...

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I’ve got a Nokia gateway, and I’ve been using around 25 devices connected to it for the last 10 months, all connected through the two lan ports, with zero issues that were not related to cell tower upgrades/repair.  Ten devices are connected via a 16-port ethernet switch that is connected to one of the gateway’s jacks, and the rest are connected to a wireless mesh system whose router (in AP mode) is connected to the gateway’s other lan jack.  Speed is almost identical to speeds when connected to the gateway via the gateway’s wifi interface.  If there is a problem with the lan connections on your gateway, it may be a bad chipset in your particular gateway, rather than a bug in the gateway design or firmware. I’ve had two firmware updates over time, so my gateway’s lan has been working properly with three different firmware versions.

The new KVD21 5G Gateway has a bug yes. I’ve experienced the exact results as above using various Cat 5 cables connecting an Apple TV. When the ATV is connected via WIFI I get very good streams good video with minor buffering. When I connect the ATV via ethernet cable it’s as if it’s not connected at all. No streams, no video, I haven’t done much testing past changing cables, but whatever it is, it’s a very strange bug. Overall the service is pretty good, some wild swings in DL speeds, anywhere from 65Mbps to 236Mbps. My old service was much slower, more expensive and had data caps. If TMob can get the bugs squashed, they just might really save me some bucks. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

The OP asked about the Nokia, so my reply was about that. Sorry to hear that the Arcadyan has that problem. I was going to see about getting one. If any other Arcadyan owners are experiencing this problem, it would be good to get a thread going about that gateway.  Perhaps you could post your experience, Unix_User, under a new thread with Arcadyan in the title. I also have an ATV, and it streams 4K videos perfectly via the ethernet (into a switch, then to the gateway via ethernet cable).

The problem you describe can also be caused if your ATV had a static IP address that you were using with your previous router.  The T-Mo gateway uses a 192.168.12 subnet that none of my previous gateways used (cable or DSL). So, for example, if your ATV had a statice address in a 192.168.1  or a 10.0.0 subnet, then the gateway would never see the ATV.  I’ve read, but not experienced, that some ATVs had trouble getting a dynamic IP address and needed to have a static address set for a subnet used by the router. I only mention these latter two causes to suggest that it may be something with a setting in your ATV, rather than a bug in the gateway. Just something to check.

Badge

The OP asked about the Nokia, so my reply was about that. Sorry to hear that the Arcadyan has that problem. I was going to see about getting one. If any other Arcadyan owners are experiencing this problem, it would be good to get a thread going about that gateway.  Perhaps you could post your experience, Unix_User, under a new thread with Arcadyan in the title. I also have an ATV, and it streams 4K videos perfectly via the ethernet (into a switch, then to the gateway via ethernet cable).

The problem you describe can also be caused if your ATV had a static IP address that you were using with your previous router.  The T-Mo gateway uses a 192.168.12 subnet that none of my previous gateways used (cable or DSL). So, for example, if your ATV had a statice address in a 192.168.1  or a 10.0.0 subnet, then the gateway would never see the ATV.  I’ve read, but not experienced, that some ATVs had trouble getting a dynamic IP address and needed to have a static address set for a subnet used by the router. I only mention these latter two causes to suggest that it may be something with a setting in your ATV, rather than a bug in the gateway. Just something to check.

That seems to have been the problem with me! Yes the PCs adapter had an IP allocated to it from my other (ADSL based) network. So connecting that to the other (TMBOB) network was asking for trouble!

I was going to reboot the PC today to see if that fixed things. It would have but I’d never have known why and would remain uncomfortable!

I simply reset the adapter and a new address was allocated.

It went from: 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.12.230 

The connection now seems stable.

Thanks for the insight!

Badge

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Glad it helped! And thanks forletting u.s. know how it worked out. So often, we never know solutions worked 

Badge

I would say that there’s serious room for improvement in the web UI to the device. The more metrics we can see the easier and faster it is to rectify. The current web UI is so minimal as to be almost no use.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

That seems to have been the problem with me! Yes the PCs adapter had an IP allocated to it from my other (ADSL based) network. So connecting that to the other (TMBOB) network was asking for trouble!

I was going to reboot the PC today to see if that fixed things. It would have but I’d never have known why and would remain uncomfortable!

Thanks for the insight!

On a LAN connection it is common practice to renew your lease (IP) when you connect to a new network. You can do this from your devices’ network setting or resetting the device. Also static IP addresses from the old network will only work if the new network uses the same subnet as old. Unfortunately on TMO routers, you can’t change the default IP and subnet.

Wifi manages this much better since it was designed to connect to multiple wifi networks so each time a wifi device connects, it will automatically renew it’s lease and get a correct IP assigned to it from the router.

Badge

Thanks for the insight!

On a LAN connection it is common practice to renew your lease (IP) when you connect to a new network. You can do this from your devices’ network setting or resetting the device. Also static IP addresses from the old network will only work if the new network uses the same subnet as old. Unfortunately on TMO routers, you can’t change the default IP and subnet.

Wifi manages this much better since it was designed to connect to multiple wifi networks so each time a wifi device connects, it will automatically renew it’s lease and get a correct IP assigned to it from the router.

Yes that was it. The IP address set for the PC adapter was only renewed when I reset it (or reboot the machine). TCP/IP itself has no means of detecting disconnection at the physical level. 

After doing several tests, I can confirm wired devices connected to a KVD21 5G Gateway must be shut down and rebooted to renew the lease on those devices. Rebooting the gateway helps, but doesn’t cure a wired device not being able to reach the internet without a power cycle of each device. I have several security cameras, computers, and two Apple TVs. Too get all of them to play nice on the KVD21 via ethernet, I had to shut them all down and then power them back up. If you have the same problem, here’s a fix that works for me. Make your (wired) connections, boot the gateway, then boot your wired devices. If the gateway loses its connection to the internet, it’s safe to reboot the gateway without rebooting each wired device. If you change any device from wifi to wired, or the reverse, it must be power cycled to get a new IP lease. 

Badge

Why @Unix_User keeps talking about the KVD21, where OP’s post is about Nokia? Confusing to say the lease ...