Solved

external IP Address Geo Location

• 31 January 2024
  • 7 replies

Badge

Can I control the geographic location of the assigned external IP Address to my 5G router? I live near baltimore but keep being assigned an IP Address that is near DC. This is affecting the TV Stations assigned by streaming services.

Thanks

Les

icon

Best answer by drnewcomb 1 February 2024, 01:48

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@lchasen many of us experience the same thing. We don’t know exactly why, but my guess is that the tower we connect to is trunked to another metro location, which is what shows up on our gateway. I am about 1 hr from Oakland, yet my gateway shows my location is Oakland. 

my 2 cents. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@lchasen, my IP address is in Providence, RI, but I’m in Vermont. I find myself having to change my location on store website that by default show store locations in the Providence, RI area.  But other than that it’s not a problem for me, since I don’t stream live TV stations.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

The whole linking of an IP address to a specific location is not actually supported by the Internet protocols. It’s just something that was convenient to assume, so a lot of lazy network programmers made the assumption. The location is actually where the local subnet interfaces to the rest of the world (kinda). A single subnet can cover the entire world and space. Someone can be sitting in Antarctica and the Internet believes that he’s in Alexandria VA or wherever the NSF net comes to ground.  

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Some streaming services...like YouTube TV let you assign a physical location.

Badge

Do you know if Peacock and Paramont+ allow you to assign a physical location? I have a trouble ticket open with Peacock. Its been open for a few days. I am not hopeful?

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Do you know if Peacock and Paramont+ allow you to assign a physical location? I have a trouble ticket open with Peacock. Its been open for a few days. I am not hopeful?

Sorry, I do not know.  I do know that Hulu + TV does not and it creates problems.

@lchasen many of us experience the same thing. We don’t know exactly why, but my guess is that the tower we connect to is trunked to another metro location, which is what shows up on our gateway. I am about 1 hr from Oakland, yet my gateway shows my location is Oakland. 

my 2 cents. 

@lchasen, my IP address is in Providence, RI, but I’m in Vermont. I find myself having to change my location on store website that by default show store locations in the Providence, RI area.  But other than that it’s not a problem for me, since I don’t stream live TV stations.

How do you do that? It will be a problem for me once baseball season starts as it suddenly started assigning me an LA IP address and I'm 100 miles away in san diego. Up until about 3 weeks ago I was getting SD ip adress.