Question

Fast Roaming aka Seamless Roaming

• 10 April 2024
  • 4 replies

Badge

I recently signed up for the T-Mobile 5G home internet service. It’s working great but I’m trying to get my Ting device to connect and keep having issues. Ting monitors my electrical, etc. and is part of State Farm. When I try to connect to my newly made 2.4GHz SSID it pops up and tells me that my router appears to have Fast Roaming enabled and could cause problems with my Ting device connecting. Sure enough it fails to connect every time. Says the password is wrong. But it’s not because my security cameras, laptop, and thermostat are all connected to the same SSID with no issues. So I dug around and found nothing on Google for this “fast/seamless” roaming. I found the term seamless roaming from the tech specs for my modem/router from T-Mobile. I’ve attached the specs I’m referring to. My gateway is as follows: T-Mobile 5G Gateway G4SE

I called tech support and as I was worried would happen no one there has any idea what I’m talking about. I just want to know how I can get this disabled without having to go the route of buying my own separate router which I don’t have the funds for right now. Any help is much appreciated.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I don’t know about Fast roaming either.  I did read that it is associated with WPA2 Enterprise security.

1. Can the Ting connect to the gateway’s default network?  (2.4 & 5 GHz; WPA2/WPA3 security).
  2. If not, make a third network just for the Ting device.  Try all the combinations of bandwidth and security.

Avoid changing the networks you already have, because your other devices are working.

Badge

Yeah that was what I tried. Had separate connections for each type and TING gave same warning about Fast Roaming on all 3. :(

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@HaroldM I am unfamiliar with your fast roaming error. However, I did find the Ting device wifi reset FAQ page. It might be worth a try to reset the Tung device and see if it sees one of your SSIDs.

https://www.tingfire.com/help/offline/#yes-wifi-change

I’m having the same issue and haven’t been able to resolve. My newer model Samsung TV also will not connect with the same error about an incorrect password. All my other devices connect with the same password.