Question

Frustration with T-Mobile Reliability

• 11 April 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

Data speeds remain below 3 down and 2 up.

Changed out Home Internet today and increased from 2 to 3 bars. Home internet indicates 4g connection, I’m sitting at home, next to the Home Internet,  and I have 5 bars of 5g on my phone. 

The home internet show connection to Bothell WA some 50 air miles away. Last week it was trying to connect servers in Sacramento CA….. 1000 miles down the coast.  go figure. 

There are two T-Mobile towers less than a mile

SO how long before we go back to  “Cable” ? ? ? ?  Has  Anyone found resolution with this issue? 

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I have never seen speeds that slow.  Even in the most congested of areas on 4G.  What device are you using?  Did you purchase that device from T-Mobile?

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@lehani91, your speeds are unusually low. Did you use the T-Mobile Internet app to set up your gateway and us the Placement App to position your gateway in the best position possible in line with your cell tower? 

Here is a setup video that some people have found useful: 

What are your metrics (RSRQ, RSRP, SINR) and confirm you are on a 5G signal (n41 or n71). 

Good luck!

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

@lehani91, don't worry about the external IP address. That has nothing to do with the tower you're logging on to. I live in S. Florida and my external IP with T-Mobile Home Internet is Bellingham, WA. If you need to have a different external IP, you'll need to use a VPN to create it geographically closer to you.

I agree with the advice @copz1998 gave you above. Placement is everything with Fixed Wireless Access (FWA) Internet, which is what T-Mobile, Verizon and AT&T are selling to customers. If you find that you can't improve those speeds, call Support and let them see if they can't solve your problem. If you can't get a good signal, then FWA isn't currently the solution for you for Internet. They might also be able to switch you over to the 5G section of the tower you're using. A few users in the Forum have said they've had success talking with Support over the issue of having a strong 5G signal but not being able to get their gateway to connect to it.

Good luck!