Solved

Gaming Wifi Extender

• 22 November 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge

So, I live in a one story house with some buddies and we got a TMobile Home Internet Router in the middle of the house to help provide everyone with a decent connection. I’m on the far left side of the house behind walls and doors and when I game on my PS5 the wifi sucks, but when I put my PS5 in the room with the router and connect with an ethernet cable it works fine. I’m wondering what extender I can get that can wirelessly connect to the router to boost the signal to my side of the house then I can connect an ethernet cable to that extender to get a good connection for gaming. 

icon

Best answer by copz1998 23 November 2023, 04:45

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@CyberXtronic you might want to invest in a mesh Wi-Fi router setup. I am using the Eero 6 and it works very well. Others may chime in with their recommendations as well.

Good luck!

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@CyberXtronic, another option you might want to consider is a Wi-Fi extender.  https://www.tp-link.com/us/wifi-extender/

Badge

@CyberXtronic you might want to invest in a mesh Wi-Fi router setup. I am using the Eero 6 and it works very well. Others may chime in with their recommendations as well.

Good luck!

@copz1998 So I would need to buy a 2 pack of euro 6s? One would connect to the Tmobile home router with an ethernet cable  and that the other one would be across the house in my room? Would I need any of the other euro products like the beacon or the extender? Also do I need to purchase any subscriptions with that product? 

Badge

@CyberXtronic, another option you might want to consider is a Wi-Fi extender.  https://www.tp-link.com/us/wifi-extender/

@henry51 How well would this work  or you have any better suggestions for one? Amazon.com: WiFi Extender, WiFi Booster, Cover up to 12880 sq.ft & 105 Devices, 1200Mbps Wall-Through Strong WiFi Booster, Dual Band 2.4G and 5G, with Ethernet Port & AP Mode, 4 Antennas 360° Full Coverage : Electronics

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@CyberXtronic I like mesh systems because they provide better consistent coverage though out the area (house, apt., etc.). A mesh system is defined by 2 or more devices, which is why you need 2 Eero units; one to connect to your gateway via ethernet cable, and the 2nd unit to stretch the signal to other parts of the house )think of the concept like casting a large net over your house). 

You do not need to buy their subscription (I didn’t) and you don't need to buy any other devices. 

Your network will function like this; TM gateway < mesh wifi system < all devices [TM provides your address internet access, then your Eero would get its internet access from the gateway, and your devices only see the mesh system and get their internet access from the mesh system.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@CyberXtronic, a range extender is a relatively cheap alternative to a mesh system that might work for you.  I’ve had a TP-Link AC1200 for a few years now and I get better Wi-Fi signal in my basement and oudoors (my gateway beeing on the second floor).  I don’t do gaming, so I’m not saying it will definitely work for you.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/blog/1241/what-is-a-wifi-booster-and-how-to-choose-the-best-one/