Question

Gateway device.

• 24 July 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge

Do I need to upgrade my PC frm windows 7 to windows 10?  I tried this before when the gateway first came out.  My PC was not able to sign on to T-Mobile device.  Do I need a router or adapter for PC?

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Do I need to upgrade my PC frm windows 7 to windows 10?  I tried this before when the gateway first came out.  My PC was not able to sign on to T-Mobile device.  Do I need a router or adapter for PC?

The T-Mobile Home Internet gateways natively use 802.11ax WiFi6 protocol, which some older devices cannot connect to.

One thing you could try first, is using an ethernet cable to hook up physically to your gateway.

Or, you could try updating your device driver on your PC network adapter to the latest version.

Otherwise, other methods can be used to provide connectivity, depending on the model gateway.  This can include splitting the 5GHz and 2.4GHz bands, lowering the encryption (WPA3 to WPA2), or lowering the transmission (ax to ac/b/g/n).

Other solutions include connecting a router or WiFi extender to the gateway, physically upgrading your PC network adapter, or using a modern USB external WiFi network adapter on your PC.