Home internet and Samsung TV keeps disconnecting

• 3 November 2022
  • 10 replies

Badge

Every single morning I have to restart my gateway for my Samsung smart tv to connect to the WiFi. My phone and everything else seems to stay connected and work but the TV won’t stay connected. Any ideas or should I just switch back to spectrum?

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

If you did not default the network settings on the TV prior to joining it to the T-Mobile network you might do that. I cannot say for sure as the network adapter wireless frequency the Samsung uses might be important to know. The specification for the TV should probably include the wireless version and authentication type it can use. It might depend on the age of the TV and if it is WI-FI 6 802.11ax capable or maybe WI-FI 5, 802.11ac or earlier. If it is earlier you might need to add an additional SSID on either the 2.4GHz frequency or the 5GHz with the authentication type it needs. If it does not play well with the 802.11ax due to the more advanced features such as band steering that might account for it dropping off the network. Knowing the network capability of the TV network adapter will help. Also you could probably check with the Samsung support site and get help there. I would guess by now other Samsung owners with T-Mobile gateways have connected with them to ask the same question.

Every single morning I have to restart my gateway for my Samsung smart tv to connect to the WiFi. My phone and everything else seems to stay connected and work but the TV won’t stay connected. Any ideas or should I just switch back to spectrum?

I am new with T-Mobile home internet and I am having the same issue with my Samsung TVs. Every other tv in the house does not have a problem. Have you figured out anything to do?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Find out the network specification for that model of Samsung TV. I would just speculate that it is 802.11ac maybe but I have no idea as I don’t have a Samsung I have a Sony and it is not smart. You might check and see if the TV needs any updates. Sometimes devices that need updates can misbehave a bit when they are not applied. The location of the gateway vs where the TV is can be a big factor. If they are in fairly close proximity to one another that will help provide a stronger signal and possibly provide a better lock. 

I have a Samsung smart TV model code UN32N5300AFZA

I am having trouble connecting it, so I am trying to find out if it is compatible with T mobile Internet gateway right out of the box with no ethernet cable. I can't find any list of compatible Samsun TVs devices.  

One comment or wrote that I should default the TV but I don't know what that means or how to do it

I am also having this same issue, it is very frustrating!!

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Some devices cannot see or connect to the gateway’s default network.  You want to leave this network alone and ADD a second network with the + sign at the bottom of the Network tab in the T-Mobile Internet app.  For this new network, set the band to 2.4 GHz and set the WPA version to WPA/WPA2.  Try connecting your TV to this second network.  Use the default network for your other devices, as much as possible.

Here are the T-Mobile support instructions for how to add the second network with the app.

Android  How to create additional Wi-Fi networks | T-Mobile Internet app | Android | T-Mobile Support

iOS  How to create additional Wi-Fi networks | T-Mobile Internet app | iOS | T-Mobile Support

Just received my 5g Gateway and am encountering the same issue with my Samsung UN50KU6300FXZA. I can see the network as an option to join, but when I do, there is no connection to the gateway. I set up a 2nd network - same thing. Managing devices on my phone can’t discover the generic name, so uses the last 4 of the MAC address.

All my other TV’s are LG and connect just fine. My Fire Stick works for my non-smart TV, 2nd Gen iPad connects to my 2nd network, my laptop connects to the default, just not the Samsung.

Maybe there should be a disclaimer - won’t work with Samsung TV’s……………….

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

thinking this might be something good ol Sammy needs to look into seeing as how everything else in the house works with it perfectly fine. 

Some devices cannot see or connect to the gateway’s default network.  You want to leave this network alone and ADD a second network with the + sign at the bottom of the Network tab in the T-Mobile Internet app.  For this new network, set the band to 2.4 GHz and set the WPA version to WPA/WPA2.  Try connecting your TV to this second network.  Use the default network for your other devices, as much as possible.

Here are the T-Mobile support instructions for how to add the second network with the app.

Android  How to create additional Wi-Fi networks | T-Mobile Internet app | Android | T-Mobile Support

iOS  How to create additional Wi-Fi networks | T-Mobile Internet app | iOS | T-Mobile Support

Thank you so much. I’ve tried everything including creating 2.4 and 5.0 networks separately from the default network. Changing it from WPA 2/WPA3  to WPA/WPA2 was what I needed to do to make it work. I’m using a relatively new Samsung TV, so I was surprised I had this problem since the rest of the Samsung TVs did not have the same issue and are even further from the gateway.

I had this issue with my tcl. I had to reconnect every day. The solution was to go to settings and forget or reset the network.(found in the same place as restoring to factory settings) Once i did this the password for the gateway was remembered and i haven't had an issue since.