Home Internet Gaming

• 13 February 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge

I have had Home Internet for about a year and I have been able to use it for both work and gaming. However, within the last few weeks, I received a “internet required to connect to servers” error when playing on GTA V, Red Dead Redemption, ARK or any other game with online features. I have changed gateways and even replaced one without any luck. I have already reached out to Sony and one of the game’s helpdesks and they both state that it is an internet provider issue. T-Mobile doesn't have any support for gamers according to one of their reps so I am frustratingly out of options. Any additional help is greatly appreciated. I am looking for other internet providers in the meantime. 

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

You're not the only person on this forum who is suffering with this problem. Here is one suggestion you might try that has worked for some of them.

Try adding a new WiFi network for the Sony.  Use the T-Mobile Home Internet app and tap the Network tab on the bottom, then the “+” button on the lower right. Create a new 2.4 GHz WiFi network with a unique name (SSID), just for your game console. Make sure the WPA type is WPA/WPA2. This is different from your main network which, by default, is WPA2/WPA3.

Now, go to your Sony and clear out all of the information you have entered for your console’s setup and then recreate your wireless connection to the new network you just created. See if that doesn't make a difference.

Badge

Thanks for the assist bocaboy2591. Unfortunately, this did not work either. I just got off the phone with Sony and they informed me that because of updates to both T-Mobile and Sony networks, their may be a firewall/security compatibility issue. Here is what they forwarded me

“Use PlayStation™Network to connect your PlayStation system to a PlayStation™Network server or to another PlayStation system. When you're using PlayStation™Network at an office or other location with a shared network, a firewall or other security measures might prevent your PlayStation system from connecting to PlayStation™Network. If this occurs, refer to the port numbers listed below, which are used when you connect your PlayStation system to a PlayStation™Network server.

• TCP: 80, 443, 3478, 3479, 3480

• UDP: 3478, 3479”

I am not sure if checking the ports is possible but I will contact T-Mobile and see if they can reference the information. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Unfortunately, you can't do Network Address Translation (NAT) on a T-Mobile gateway. There is a workaround on YouTube with Nater Tater, but trust me, it isn't for the faint-of-heart.

A NAT is a hole in the firewall of the gateway or router that allows an external service or machine to connect back to a machine on your network. Port 80 is usually open by default since almost all Internet traffic travels on port 80.

Unfortunately, T-Mobile, for their own particular reasons, does not allow users to NAT addresses, and that’s what Sony is asking you to do. Take a look at Nater Tater on YouTube or this video on how to add an external router so that you can possibly figure out a workaround for your problem.

Badge

Thank you very much! I will check it out. You have been more helpful than any of the T-Mobile reps I have spoken to. Been with T-Mobile for 18+ years and I felt they were being dismissive about the issue. 

For me, my ps5 wouldn’t connect to my home internet until I switched the T-Mobile network settings from recommended (WPA3) to WPA/WPA2 and now it works

Badge

For me, my ps5 wouldn’t connect to my home internet until I switched the T-Mobile network settings from recommended (WPA3) to WPA/WPA2 and now it works

Wait so you got it to work does the can you use the PS5 out of your house like remote play out of your house?

I tried that and ended up needing to factory reset the gateway... it ended up not connecting at all... STILL TRYING TO FIND A WAY FOR REMOTE PLAY TO WORK ON MY PS5........