Question

HP Printer Wireless Set up Issue

Badge

Since setting up my 5g home internet device, I am not able to connect my HP Photosmart C4599 wireless printer to it. I reinstalled it on my home computer which connects to the modem with ethernet cable.  I currently have the printer set up using cable connected to home computer, but when I try to configure it over wireless, I am not able to complete the set up.  I get to the point where I select my SSID and put in my password so that is all working, but then after that it fails for “MAC Address Filtering may be enabled on your wireless router which can prevent your HP printer from connecting to your wireless network during setup. Temporarily disable MAC address filtering on your wireless router.” I got into the router using the admin user/password but don’t see an advanced option for disabling MAC address filtering.  Is there a way to do this or what other options do I have?

Thanks for your help!

37 replies

Make sure the software is up to date on the printer, maybe even move the printer into the room with the gateway and plug it in with a cable. 
also for this that just changed and it doesn’t work try setting the WiFi on the gateway to WPA2 only for the WiFi security. Not all devices like using WPA3 if the software isn’t up to date on that device. I’m assuming that the old WiFi probably was at WPA2, maybe even lower but I don’t recommend using lower WiFi security. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Separate the 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless and set the 2.4GHz and 5GHz to AES encryption.

I had the same issue with my hp envy.

I downloaded the TMobile Internet app. Went to Networks. Found the TMOBILE network and clicked the right arrow

Changed the frequency band to 2.4

WPA version to WPA/WPA2

WPA encryption to TKIP & AeS

Now it works .

What pbcgal said works but you only have to change from the recommended wpa2/wpa3 to wpa/wpa2 that is because since we're using older printers it doesn't detect the newer wpa2/wpa3.

I had the same issue and changing wpa2/wpa3 to wpa/wpa2 allowed my HP printers to connect via wireless.

So, if I make these changes (WPA2/WPA3 to WPA/WPA2) to get my HP Envy 4500 to connect will that require reconnecting the other devices in the house as well (Ie Roku PS4). 

I downloaded the TMobile Internet app. Went to Networks. Found the TMOBILE network and clicked the right arrow

WPA version to WPA/WPA2

Now it works .

Thank you, thank you, thank you.  This worked for me and my HP Officejet 6000.  Thought I was going to have to return my gateway and stick with Xfinity.  Tmobile you should share this with your tech people.  I was on the phone a long time trying to figure this out.  Had to type multiple phrases in google to finally find this post.

This worked for me.

Unable to print to wireless printer

Badge
  • Helper Level 1
  • 1 reply

Just switched from Spectrum to Tmobile home internet. Now I am unable to connect to my fairly new HP printer M148fdw. I have set static and dynamic ip addresses, changed from 5mhz to 2.4 mhz, changed encryption. I have updated firmware on the printer. I am unable to browse to or ping the printer or any of the devices on the network other than the tmobile gateway.

icon

Best answer by Trez

This will work for any older 2.4GHz device.  Worked for our cameras and lights and printers.  In “Network”  you can add another network by pressing the magenta +, give the new network a unique name, change the  frequency  to 2.4 only and the protocol to WPA2, leave the rest as is.  Let the router update then search on your device for the new 2.4 network.

This worked for me.

I had connection problem with HP Envy 4500 using the printer wireless set up wizard. Tried many unsuccessful attempts. Finally, used the T-Mobile network app on my iphone and selected the 2.4Ghz network. I looked at the configuration and changed the WPA configuration to WPA/WPA2 which is an older security setting and  after the T-Mobile Gateway updated, I retried the wifi setup wizard on the printer and it worked.

Thanks all for replying on this. When I did the initial networking configuration setup way back when I first got the printer, I just followed the instructions on the HP CD to set up the wireless and don’t recall ever specifying a static IP vs DHCP.  Assume it would be defaulted to use DHCP. But over the last couple of days, I re-installed the printer set up from that same CD along with trying to set up the Wireless connectivity and don’t see any static IP vs DHCP configuration selection.  It just fails on that last step after selecting my SSID and password. So since I am not very networking savy, can you guys tell me how I could find out if my printer is using a static IP vs using DHCP? Assume this is something I should be able to see from my computer as long as it is connected to the printer using the USB since that is the only way to connect currently? On my printer, there aren’t many Wireless options to look at from the console.

Thanks again for your replies!

Do you have your 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz on separate SSID? I am assuming your HP Printer only works on 2.4. Try again with different SSID for 2.4 Ghz and make sure both PC and printer are on the same 2.4 GHz SSID.

WPA version to WPA/WPA2

Now it works .

Thank you, thank you, thank you.  This worked for me and my HP Officejet 6000.  Thought I was going to have to return my gateway and stick with Xfinity.  Tmobile you should share this with your tech people.  I was on the phone a long time trying to figure this out.  Had to type multiple phrases in google to finally find this post.

Worked for me too.  Did not want to buy a new printer yet.  Thank you!

Worked for me too.  Did not want to buy a new printer yet.  Now I won’t have to.  Thank you!

The HP Easy start software requires that both printer and computer be on the same network: That’s the problem in the first place, so doesn’t work.