Solved

I can't connect my printer to my network

• 13 February 2024
  • 2 replies

Badge

So we have an HP Officejet 4632 and I cant figure out how to get it connected to our network!  The pc is  a microsoft surface laptop 3.  Can anyone help?

icon

Best answer by nc1037 13 February 2024, 04:23

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

This is a common problem - but it’s usually easy to fix.  Here is my “stock” explanation:

Some devices cannot connect to the gateway’s default network.  You want to leave this network alone and ADD a second network with the + sign at the bottom of the Network tab in the T-Mobile Internet app.  For this new network, set the band to 2.4 GHz and set the WPA version to WPA/WPA2.  Try connecting your printer to this second network.  Use the default network for your other devices, as much as possible.

Here are the T-Mobile support instructions for how to add the second network with the app.

Android  How to create additional Wi-Fi networks | T-Mobile Internet app | Android | T-Mobile Support

iOS  How to create additional Wi-Fi networks | T-Mobile Internet app | iOS | T-Mobile Support

I have a Surface Pro tablet running Windows 10 and an HP printer that would not connect to the network.  After 45 minutes with T-Mobile tech service, no joy.  I continued playing with the setup through the app on my phone (also T-Mobile) and set the WPA to WPA/WPA2 and like magic the printer and tablet connected.  However, my phone disconnected from the network.  When I tried to reconnect the phone, I received the message that policy requires a WPA3.  I tried several work arounds to get a connection.  Nothing worked and then the gateway shut down...no power, black.  Unplugged it waited a few minutes plugged back in, tried different outlets, tested the outlet, uplugged, replugged...nothing.  Called tech service, tried a couple things, nothing.  New gateway ordered and on the way.  I left the unit sitting on the table unplugged overnight.  Got up the next morning and just for kicks plugged in the unit.  It starts up and is working fine.  I used the gateway setup suggested by nc1037 and all is well.  The printer and my tablet are happy on one network and my phone on the “factory” configured network.  I speculate that the gateway shutdown when I tried to access it too many times after it was no longer programmed with WPA3  and that there is a timed reset.