Question

Internet service and VoIP

• 4 January 2024
  • 25 replies

Considering T Mobile for internet service. I have an elevator that requires a land line. Does the gateway have a port I can plug into for VoIP?

25 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

No and VOIP services do not work with T-Mobike Home Internet in most cases.  VOIP lines aren't the same as home phone services either.  The gate here actually requires a local number and a landline, not a VOIP service or cell service.  Not too sure if the system at your property works the same.

Thanks - I have a phone # and existing phone service through my Xfinity connection. If Comcast goes away I thought VoIP was my only option. Is this correct? I’d like to disconnect the phone from the tel port on my combination modem/router and connect it to a new service provider, T Mobile or otherwise.

I have T-Mobile 5G home internet, and I use Ooma basic as my home phone line.  They have 911 service and costs a little over $6 a month.  I’m not sure if you can port your current home phone number over or not, but the service works well.  We have used it for years (used previously with Xfinity before switching to T-Mobile in December 2023).  Hope this helps.

I have not had any luck with VOIP phones working on the Tmobile gateway

Badge

Anyone heard if T is fixing this issue?

We’ve had VoIP phones running on a few T-Mobile Home Internet devices for over a year (we do not use the internal WiFi on the gateway - we use independent mesh routers, which shouldn’t matter).  Within the last month, our VoIP phones stopped working.  After HOURS of trying to figure out why (and a long call with T-Mobile customer care that had no idea why VoIP wouldn’t work anymore), I discovered that our TMHI gateway had spontaneously started blocking Port 5060, which is most commonly used for SIP (VoIP) traffic.  Changing our VoIP port (to 5062 in our case) solved the issue immediately.  The available alternative ports you can use for VoIP differ, depending on your VoIP carrier.

Two days ago, our second TMHI gateway started blocking Port 5060.  So, I had to switch the port on those phones as well.   It appears T-Mobile pushed an update to at least some of their gateways (ours was an Arcadyan) that caused this inexplicable issue.  I HAVE NO IDEA WHY, and apparently neither does customer service.  I spent hours and hours trying to fix it and it was pretty frustrating.

Now my worry is, if they are going to start randomly blocking ports used by SIP, will they eventually block the new ports we are using?  We depend on our VoIP phones for our business.  If they keep doing this, we are going to have to dump T-Mobile.  They need to fix it.  If they are going to market themselves as a legitimate internet service provider, they need to act like one and stop doing things like this.

Badge

Moving to port 5062 did not help me. :(

I had the exact situation like  Justin0681 , my FreePbx stopped working ,with my sip trunks from http://www.phonepower.com/ , i had this wonderful setup working for years till 2 weeks ago , my biz got interrupted by tmoble competing to the quality of service we used to suffer from ATT. lost 2 days figuring it out , finally called Ooma and sent me office connect 3000 with the called 4.5 G, and got my system working avoiding Mobile restriction., let us say tomobile butchered  it’s own customers to force them move to ooma even ooma is a service from tombile new monopoly for some not  some based on lump sum biz only. I got my system working but omma can not get 5g as tombile but was good enough to keep the sip trunks working at full power. tombile is going through the degenerate  again process towards extinction.

Badge

I had VOIP working with TMHI for a year, until it stopped a week or so ago.

I use OBI200 with VOIP.MS.  I tried switching from OBI to a Grandstream, with no luck.

T-Mobile support is clueless, and simply tells me to reboot everything :)

From an earlier reply, moving to port 5062 did not help me.

I guess that I need to drop TMHI….

I too had my voip system working for a few years non-issue then last week it stopped. Both tmobile and my voip provider says it's each other's fault. Tmobile says to upgrade my digital phone firmware while my voip provider says Tmobile gateway is blocking the service from going through. It's been 3 working days and still no answer to the problem. 

Badge

I’m convinced that T-Mobile is the problem, I’ve found several similar complaints about T-Mobile. It seems to be either CGNAT addressing or port blocking. I’m no expert on either. I took my VOIP box to a friend, who does not use TMHI, and it worked fine at his place.

T-Mobile refuses to acknowledge the problem or even connect me to someone who can speak to it, I get the mindless phone support agents who tell me to reboot.

After being very happy with T-Mobile HI and using a working VOIP system. I’m unfortunately forced to drop TM and get Internet elsewhere.

I wish TM would at least acknowledge the problem.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@DaveD-VA  Do you have any theories on why some VOIP with T-Mobile Home Internet setups work fine, and then stop working?  My VOIP has always worked fine and still does. What would need to change with my TMHI for my VOIP setup to stop working?  Thanks!

Badge

@DaveD-VA  Do you have any theories on why some VOIP with T-Mobile Home Internet setups work fine, and then stop working?  My VOIP has always worked fine and still does. What would need to change with my TMHI for my VOIP setup to stop working?  Thanks!

I’m no expert, but my research points to either port blocking or CG-NAT IP addressing.  Why it worked for a year+ and then failed is a mystery to me.  TM may have rolled out a change, either to my device or to my local infrastructure.  With them refusing to even acknowledge the problem, it’s impossible to know.  Also, the way they they limit your access to the router, diagnosing there is impossible.

Enjoy your TMHI while VOIP works and hope that they don’t screw it up. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Thanks!  I’ll make sure to post to this thread if/when my VOIP stops working.

I'm not sure if this is even legal! 

ISPs do not have the right to block free access to the internet.

This will cause a monopoly and violates United States Antitrust Laws!

I officially canceled my TMHI today and switched to competitor who allows VOIP. Tmobile asked why I'm canceling and they said sorry we don't offer it but maybe in the future we can upgrade our services. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@Zach4301 Was your VOIP working with TMHI and then stop working?  What was your VOIP setup with TMHI before it stopped working?

@henry51 my VOIP did work for 2 years and here is what I know without being technical since I'm not. I had a voip provider and TMHI, it was set up as a 'mirror' at home which copied my work station at the office. Since then my provider stopped allowing 'mirroring' and I had to use my own MAC address for my home and a MAC address for my office so it could be 'serviced properly'. So somehow TMHI wasn't able to identify the mirroring setup and allowed it to pass but once it was set up with its own Mac address the gateway knew and blocked it. I took my home phone into work and it works fine, just not when connected to tmobile.

I have used Vonage as the VOIP for about 2 years now with no issues. It would be great if T Mobile’s VOIP would work with it, but I found a viable work around and was able to keep my home telephone number.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@Zach4301  I’m not technical either, so I don’t fully understand your VOIP setup with T-Mobile Home Internet.  Mine is a very simple, but it has been working flawlessly since I set it up 16 months ago.

I have a Grandstream HT801 ATA https://www.grandstream.com/products/gateways-and-atas/analog-telephone-adaptors/product/ht801  

I use it with CallCentric. The Callcentric website has very clear setup instructions on how to set up a number of ATAs. https://www.callcentric.com/support/  I have an outbound and inbound call plan and voicemail. It’s just to have a landline type phone in the house and it’s $2.95/mo.

Like I said, so far so good ;)

I recently experienced the issue many here are having. My VoIP provider is Callcentric. I have an OBi110 ATA. It has been working without any changes for a long time, first when I had Xfinity home internet and after I switched to T-mobile 5G Home Internet last year, it was also working fine with the original configurations until recently. My old ATA configurations used a callcentric.com domain. I decided to check callcentric documentation for configuring OBi110/202 devices and noticed the domain they have in their documentation is sip.callcentric.net along with a few other configurations that I did not have (e.g. setting the outbound proxy), so I made all the changes recommended in the callcentric documentation in my ATA and my service is working again. I know when my ATA  was configured with the callcentric.com domain for a while it also worked with TM Home Internet, so I do believe it is likely some recent T-mobile changes and not the VoiP provider is the root cause of the service not working. Checking and experimenting with your ATA configs might help to get you service working again over TM Home Internet. Good luck!

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@TFedup I think the information in your post will be very useful to those who are experiencing issues with their CallCentric/TMHI setup. The configuration of my GrandStream HT801 has had sip.callcentric.net for several years now. It’s working like a charm.  Thanks for sharing!

Same here as many of you.  t-Mobile doesn’t support my VOIP (phonepower) service.  I can receive calls, but not make outbound calls.  Had to upgrade from my OBI200 to make that work, but new Grandstream device only got me inbound calls.  Tech support says it’s a IPv6 issue and lack of movement from t-Mobile.  VOIP isn’t the only issue, but the inability to configure static IPs for my network is even worse.  Love the 5G service for speed, but half my network needs are now unfulfilled.  Will jump t-Mobile as soon as better option is available.  Loyalty is earned…

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@JomaTX Would a different VOIP service meet your needs?  I’ve had CallCentric https://www.callcentric.com for a few years now (even when I had a different ISP).  TMHI and CallCentric seem to get along fine.  It might be worth a try before you leave TMHI.

@henry51 Thanks for the info, not sure I can get my number ported (which would be a hassle) but I’ll check it out.  My non-VOIP concerns about the service are my highest priority as I can’t assign static IPs impacting my NAS functionality.  TMHI must listen and make some changes for advanced users...