Question

Is the T-mobile unit GEO locked ?

• 19 February 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I took my T-Mobile home unit up the street to a neighbor’s house to see if they could get the signal if they ordered it all so but noticed it would not show the device at all even at power up, even if I connect to a cable directly. is the unit geo locked??

when I brought it back to my house the unit worked fine.

3 replies

The new unit, i believe should be the Arcadyn model; From my testing, it doesn't appear to be geo locked but i do recommend resetting it if all else fails.

Taking it up the street is one thing and taking it miles away is another up to out of state is another. I’ve never tested this, but I was told that they are GEO Locked by a T-Mobile Rep. One youtuber claimed he was able to travel in his RV and still have service, but that was an old video that dated 4 years ago. Things can change. You mentioned taking it up the street. Keep in mind that cell phone towers have a 2-5 mile range depending on obstructions. Just going up the street is not far enough to suggest it is not GEO locked. From what I understand, your internet phone number has a permanent reservation to the nearest tower of your address. If you move to another location across town or out of town, you may get service without calling and updating your address, but you will have connections issues like how you get dropped calls or very slow 1990s dial up internet speeds (Don’t ask me how old I am!) because others are locked there first permanently. The short way to explain it is with one simple word… Priority.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

TMHI is designed to work at the location of the address on the account.  The TMHI service is not meant for being used outside of that.