Question

Phone disconnecting from 5G Home internet

• 4 January 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

I’ve been having issues where my cell phone will not auto-connect to my 5G home internet and once I manually connect it will often disconnect, and I will need to manually connect again. I come home from work and every day have to open up wi-fi settings and choose my home wi-fi. It will connect and work (initially) with no issues. Then, my phone will randomly disconnect from the wi-fi forcing me to go back into the menus, click on my home wi-fi again and it will connect and work again with no problems. Sometimes it will stay connected for hours, sometimes only for a few minutes. 

I am only having the problem on my android phone (2 other iphones, smart TV, firestick, all stay connected with no issues) but my phone does not have the same problem with any other Wi-fi connections that I use. I checked all the settings on my phone - auto-connect is ON, I’ve tried with “adaptive connectivity” both on and off with no luck either way. Reset the modem and the phone multiple times, but still having problems. Not sure what else I can try at this point.

3 replies

I have the exact same problem with my Pixel 3 Android 12 phone.  I’ve tried all the same things and nothing has worked.  It drives me crazy.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

There have been some discussions in the past about this. I think Pixel phones were mentioned as the most likely to have the problem.

Here’s a prior topic I found that offers up possible solutions.

Note that I have no personal experience with this, just remembered others talking about it and searched for the prior discussion for you.

Thanks @Darko66 you sent me to the right answer.

@pluqm wrote:

I had the same problem with a pixel 3a.  Tried lots of things (including factory reset of the device, was not willing to factory reset the phone either (cc @Katecreatesit ) but i did get it to work without doing that.

The following worked for me:

using a non-pixel phone, login to app as admin and create a NEW network with
1) 5GHZ  (ONLY)
2) WPA2 (ONLY)
3) A password that does not use commas (“,”) .

This is working for me now.  I actually used the Pixel phone to set up the new network, and I never had commas in my passwords, so I just made a new network with 5GHz/WPA2 and that solved the problem.  My next step will be to make a 2.4 network with WPA2 only.  I suspect this problem is caused by a conflict between Pixel and T-Mobile implementation of WPA3.