Question

printer connection issues HP Envy 4500

• 20 January 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge

Recently our printer lost connection with our WI-FI tower. We have the grey T Mobile tower for our home. Our IPhone and IPad, game stations (X Box, PS3, and Wii), and laptop can still see and connect to the WI-FI, however our printer does not. It sees WI-FI from other devices that it is near enough in our neighborhood to pick up, but not the device we have. Is there a solution for this?

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Recently our printer lost connection with our WI-FI tower. We have the grey T Mobile tower for our home. Our IPhone and IPad, game stations (X Box, PS3, and Wii), and laptop can still see and connect to the WI-FI, however our printer does not. It sees WI-FI from other devices that it is near enough in our neighborhood to pick up, but not the device we have. Is there a solution for this?

That’s strange, that your printer used to connect to your gateway, but not now.  Usually we get questions of a printer never connecting, period.

The questions usually mention a printer that is not capable of connecting to the WiFi6 protocol of the gateway.  But first, check to see if it might be a Windows 10 problem:

If it is not a Windows problem, then usually one of the following suggestions might help to bypass WiFi6 to get an older device connected:

• Activating and renaming the SSID of one of the 2.4GHz channels so that it is not name shared (basically allowing non-WiFi6 access)
  • Lowering the 2.4GHz transmission mode to an older standard (example, ax/g to n/g)
  • Lowering the encryption (WPA) to an older standard (example, WPA3 to WPA2)

I have the same issues trying to print to an HP Envy 5530 from TMobile KVD21.  I was having continuity issues with the previous T Mobile Cellular wifi gateway and switched it to the KVD21.  The printer worked with previous gateway but not with the new one.  TMO tech support could not help.

I guess I will switch back to Comcast.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

The HP Envy 5530 - Requirements/Limitations (Released September 2013)

Set up manual, forget Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) Make sure the 2.4 GHz radio is configured to support WPA/WPA2/WPA3. The printer will ONLY be able to use WPA with the Nokia gateway. If this does not work it has some problem communicating with the 802.11ax capable gateway. It is hard to say which device the problem resides upon. Probably authentication if you have not tried WPA. Make sure WPA is included in the authentication for the 2.4 GHz radio or for sure it will not connect.

• 802.11n will only support 2.4Ghz

• WEP key or WPA Passphrase

1. Start Wireless Setup Wizard.

1. From the Home screen, touch the Wireless icon, and then touch Settings.

2. Touch Wireless Setup Wizard.

2. Connect to wireless network.

● Select your network from the list of detected networks.

1. Follow prompts.

If the printer currently has WIFI settings: (You want to change what you have.)

Change network settings

From the Home screen,

1. Touch the Wireless icon, and then
  1. Touch Settings.
  2. Touch Advanced Settings.
  3.  Select the item to be changed from the Advanced Settings menu.
  4. Follow the onscreen instructions.

This worked for me on an HP ENVY4500, even though the guys on the video has a cannon printer. I followed the wireless setup wizard. This will work just pay attention to the video and take it slow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AME7edb35x4