Question

Questioning my current setup

• 5 July 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

I’m wondering if the way I’ve setup my network needs to be different. This is my current setup (all wired connection):

T-Mobile gateway — Linksys mesh router — Apple TV —

The mesh router broadcasts the WiFi signal that allows 2 phones, 3 iPads, 2 computers, 2 watches, and 1 thermostat to connect to internet. The Apple TV also acts as a Home Hub mainly the thermostat

I wonder if I should change to the following setup or does it not matter (all wired)

T-Mobile gateway — Apple TV — Linksys mesh router —

Essentially the difference is should I connect the Apple TV directly to the gateway or should I connect the Linksys directly to the gateway? 

2 replies

Badge

I guess my main concern has to do with hacking. I hear of T-Mobile gateways being hacked. I imagine putting the Apple TV after the gateway might offer some protection to the home WiFi (mesh router) being hacked because it’s not immediately after the gateway, plus Apple devices are known to be typically robust and a bit harder to hack into? Thoughts?

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I think it’s OK as it is, if everything is working. I don’t even know if it would work the other way,  Isn’t the Apple TV communicating with the thermostat via the Linksys Wi-Fi?  Another way to look at it: If you didn’t have the T-Mobile gateway, and you had a cable modem instead, that is how you would have connected everything.  (Cable modem - router - Apple TV)

I recommend setting a really strong password on your T-Mobile Admin account, and the T-Mobile network, and set the network to Hidden.  In the app, select the network.  Scroll down to turn on Hidden and tap Save.

Edited to add:  You should also have strong passwords for the Linksys, and consider making the Linksys Wi-Fi network(s) hidden.