Solved

repeater not connecting to gateway

• 23 December 2022
  • 16 replies

Badge

My canon printer wouldn’t prompt for a network password on my T-Mobile gateway and I read here that a wifi repeater would do the trick. I have tried setting it up several times (resetting in between attempts) and the only time the “connected to host” light will light solid is if I connect with an ethernet cable (but that messes with all our device connections). What is the fix to get it to communicate? Power is on, Wifi light is on, and the indicator shows it’s connected to the internet, but there is no connection to the host. Does that even make any sense?

icon

Best answer by iTinkeralot 23 December 2022, 19:21

View original

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

It makes sense to me. Depending upon the Canon printer model and the age of the printer the network adapter capability is probably part of the equation. 

Assuming you have the Arcadyan or Sagemcon gateway you need to use the T-Mobile home internet mobile application to login as “admin” and be able to make changes.

Once you are logged in you will want to select Network on the bottom bar

You should see a magenta dot with a white + in the middle. (select that)

You can “ADD” a network SSID for your printer on the 2.4 GHz frequency (pass phrase as well)

Provide it with WPA/WPA2 (AES)  for the encryption authentication type

Once you have the network name/passphrase/authentication type then “Apply/Save

After that try to connect your printer to the network name you set up for the printer. My guess is the printer only supports 2.4 GHz radio frequency AND will only support WPA or WPA2 authentication type. 

If the default for the 2.4 GHz network for every thing else is WPA2/WPA3 (AES) then the printer cannot connect as it is expecting WPA for authentication type IF it is 5-7 years old. High probability. If you had your printer connected with an Ethernet cable then remove that before you attempt to connect to the new network name with the WPA authentication type.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

My take is to avoid adding a wireless extender or repeater as that only adds another point of failure and additional effort. If you have an older repeater or extender that also may suffer from some of the same limitations as the printer so why bother with fighting with two devices vs just attack the problem head on with the printer. 

The Canon model specifications would or should state the network capabilities. More than likely you used WPS long ago in a distant time to get a connection to a WPS capable dinosaur. Well, welcome to the 21st century and 802.11ax. Older printer drivers and the newer WI-FI 6 technology don’t always play well as the old printer drivers are not suited to the newer technology and no new drivers are available in most cases. If it was on Windows 7 or Windows 8 for drivers well probably no new drivers for that baby.

Badge

Thank you. Of course, the admin password that came with the Gateway isn’t working. Now I’m afraid to reset it all and have none of it work after. lol

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Did you try the password on the label on the gateway itself? I believe the Arcadyan and Sagemcon gateway both have the default admin password on the label on the gateway. If you have trouble reading it use your phone, take a picture of the label and zoom in on it till you can easily read it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

The Sagemcon has it on the back. Below is the example from the manual:

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Also: (assuming this works properly)

If you configure a custom admin password and forget it, use the password reset function found within the T-Mobile Internet mobile app to reset the password to factory default.

Badge

Mine is a KVD21. I used the admin password on the back but it doesn’t work. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Try the mobile application and see if it offers the same admin password reset option. Given both gateways use the same mobile application for management I believe both will use the application pretty much the same. 

The manual suggest the Arcadyan also has the same reset via the mobile application. Same verbiage is used in both manuals.

Badge

I found the manual but things don’t look the same on the GUI interface as in the manual and my app is now not allowing me to do anything but entire the admin password. If I reset to factory settings, will that bring it back to the password on the gateway? I’m just afraid if I do that we’ll suddenly be locked out entirely.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

OK in theory if the unit is reset to factory default the password on the gateway should be installed again so it should work. If upon setup you provided a password for the admin account then it was changed from the default on the gateway. So, in my mobile application it suggest that the password can be changed on the gateway with physical access to the gateway. I have the Nokia gateway so I cannot state with 100% confidence that the Arcadyan will allow you to reset the admin password with physical access to the gateway. The manual makes no reference to how this should/would be done nor does it seem to make a reference to the actual process. So, we are flying blind in uncharted territory. 

From ALL the different conversations I have seen the universal goto from support engineer is to do a factory default on the gateway for any number of things. It is always the most intrusive but from my experience with lots of networking gear over the past 24 years that is commonly a pretty sure method. Yes, it is the most intrusive but tends to be effective. Setting up the gateway does not take long. 

The equipment I worked with for years had a password reset and a factory default micro switch that had to be used much like these gateways but we had to add a longer hold for the factory reset due to customers asking for the longer depression of the switch. It prevented mistakes.

If the reset button is pressed for a duration shorter than the 5 seconds it might, I say might, just reset the password alone. So doing the count for seconds or using a watch to see say a 2 second period might just do the trick. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Again, I do not have the Arcadyan gateway nor the Sagemcon. They might have a menu option as one of the functions provided by the LED screen. Run through every option on the LED screen on the Arcadyan gateway. Maybe there is a admin password reset option. Explore what you can before you give up.

Badge

Thank you! I’ll see what I can do. Really hoping I don’t have to buy a new printer at the end of this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

You post the Canon Model or search for “Canon Model# specification”. I have looked up Canon and it is one of the easier ones to get good results on. All you need to know to be sure is the network capability. It probably is 802.11b/g/n and supports WPA authentication type. 

If you make the additional 2.4 GHz SSID and call it say CanonPTR and give it even the same pass phrase as your other network that is fine. As long as the authentication type includes WPA/WPA2 (AES) it will probably connect and work just fine.

You can check the network setting for the wireless adapter on the printer and make sure the IP is obtained via DHCP and it should get connected just fine once you associate it with the wireless CanonPTR (SSID). 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I have the Arcadyan gateway. Resetting it will return it to the credentials on the label on the bottom of the gateway.

My opinion of Canon printers, especially the older ones, is that they're pieces of junk. I've had two and had to throw both of them in the garbage for one reason or another. They were a complete waste of money for me. Therefore, I think iTinkeralot is correct when he thinks you should stick with a 2.4 MhZ WiFi to the device. In order to hold down manufacturing costs, most of them use a less expensive WiFi receiver which is only compatible with the 2.4 MhZ band.

So, in short, in order to restore the default user and administrator passwords, reset the gateway.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

It seems to me most inexpensive printers are pretty much the same. The manufacturer is offering us an “attractive” solution for a modest price with plenty of advertisement glitz. The catch is they want you to buy their ink solution. Having worked for HP I bought a number of HP printers due to the discount on, well an inexpensive solution. The back end was the print ink was a bit costly and the printers just did not last very long. I evaluated the cost and decided to change my approach. I bought my second Epson and bought a higher end one that was fast, did a good job, and it lasted solid for 8 years and still does work quite well for scans and black printing only due to dirty heads. OK, had issues with it not wanting to connect to the T-Mobile gateway, connected it with an Ethernet cable and decided to replace it with a newer Epson so I did. It is a lesser model all in one printer/scanner with fewer trays and bells and whistles but works very well. One upside is with the ink. The cartridges can be refilled with larger bottles so the cost of ink is a bit better. The prints are much, much better than the tired one and it joined the network without issue. When working at HP we referred to the ink cartridges as the “cash cows”.  I firmly believe the printer business for consumers is not about making money on the printers themselves. 

Badge

Got it reset and added the network and the printer works again! Thank you SO MUCH.