Question

Roku

• 26 August 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge

Hi!  I recently got T-Mobile internet.  But I can’t connect my Roku stick...called customer service, couldn’t give me an answer.   Anyone have this issue?  Any solutions?  Thanks in advance for any help.

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

My Streaming Stick+  (3810 models) worked when I tested them against the LTE modem back around xmas…

But I opted to use my own router for various reasons, so the radios are disabled on their modem now.  They connect just fine to both my old Asus AC66 router as well as my newer AC86 model.

If you could provide some more details about your setup, perhaps some users can chime in on your specific issue. Namely, what model Roku do you have and what is TMO’s firmware.  Also, whether you are only connecting to their modem or if you also have a separate router in play may be important as well as the model and firmware level of that router if one is in use.

Badge

Thanks for your reply and suggestions.  I have Roku Express, inside of the remote it says model RC-ALIR.  I don’t have the Tmobile gateway (the cylinder) hooked to anything.  Not too techy, so not sure what I could connect it to. I was using ATT High speed and have an Actiontec modem/router that I bought for it.  It’s not working properly anymore, but I’m waiting to buy another one until I find out if that would help with Tmobile and what type would work best with it.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

The model number should be on the roku player itself… can be difficult on the newer models because they just printed directly on the body with dark writing instead of it being on a white label like they used to do on the larger “puk” style models.

I think those express models only support up through wireless N, not newer AC or AX--which might be a problem if the modem or router has legacy support disabled.

Unfortunately, they haven’t sent me the Nokia yet, so can’t poke around the menus to help check for such a setting, perhaps someone can help with that.

As for using a dedicated router… typically it has the potential to give you better options/performance for managing your network, depending on the environment and how you use your network.

Unfortunately, TMO’s network config doesn’t allow us to take advantage of a lot of the things that would really make a dedicated router shine on that front.  Mostly, it would be a question of more reliable wifi management/performance.  So it may not be worth purchasing one for TMO unless it can be verified it would indeed resolve some issues on the wifi angle.

I have the problem That 50"Roku Tv 4k Wont connect to Tmobile modem Fortunately I bought a Xiaomi router that is backwards compatible  can run wifi 6 and 5 and has some customization you may experiment connecting another modem and reboot all devices I also run a smart proxy server which seems to lock good signals better with less ip drops.

Some devices need to be connected using 5ghz or 2.4 ghz. Download the app for the device(tower,T-mobile internet) turn on wifi on your phone and connect to it. Look around abit and you'll see network settings . U want to enable 2.4ghz and 5ghz. Ur fire stick probably uses 5ghz . It's basically a frequency it uses. Hope this help.

This True but mainly older device's we were discussing roku devices inability to connect to Tmobile gateway. Older Rokus might use 2.4 only I think it did connect to TMobile trash can but not to Arcadia unit in my case.

I have T-Mobile internet and a Roku Ultra.  After my TV has been off for hours, attached is what I get when I turn it on.  Roku support is worthless!