Question

Seeking Recommendations for a Separate Router/Firewall

• 7 January 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

I attempted to configure an older firewall/router unit with my T-Mobile gateway and was unable to get my devices to connect to the Internet through via the router.  I am open to purchasing a new router/firewall but don’t want to spend the money and repeat the result.  Does anyone have a recommendation for a reputable router/firewall that can be used with the T-Mobile 5G gateway without too much configuration difficulty?

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Unfortunately, it isn't easy to configure a router behind a T-Mobile gateway. The first problem is that the T-Mobile gateway is the DHCP server on the network and can't be modified or changed. In addition, NAT, VPN and Firewalls are very difficult to configure with the T-Mobile gateway. There are ways to do it, but it isn't straightforward.

Check out Nater Tater on YouTube for some workarounds, but the problem is that T-Mobile doesn't want customers fiddling with settings. They want it to be a simple and fast setup that provides Internet service for the bulk of their customers. Those that need customization are going to have a more difficult time of it unless T-Mobile changes the firmware on the gateway.

Badge

Thanks for the response.  Not the sort of response I was hoping to get, but it’s helpful to know what the options are (or aren’t).  I’ll give Nater Tater a look.

I know I’m a year late, but, I’ve been running my Eero pro 6 router behind the t-mobile gayeway for months with NO issues at all. The Eero can either be assigned a static IP or get it via DHCP from the Gateway (which is what I do). The rest of my network is connected to the Eero’s and work just fine.

All I did is power off & disconnect the Eero from my cable modem and connect it to the t-mobile gateway, then I powered it back on and all was well.