Question

Subnetting the 5G Gateway

• 21 November 2022
  • 1 reply

Badge

I was wondering if anyone has tried sub-netting the 5G Gateway address space. I was unsure of my ability to do that, so I searched YouTube on the process.

I have a RING Doorbell PRO that was setup to connect to my AT&T U-verse Modem/Router, which I REPLACED with the T-Mobile 5G Gateway. T-Mobile Tech support was not a lot of help.  I know the best solution is to reset the Ring Doorbell and configure it to connect to the T-Mobile SSID. That is what I did with all my other devices.  However, I Glued the Ring Doorbell Faceplate to the base due to an installation issue and I did not want to tear it apart. The Ring reset button is behind the faceplate.

I thought I could subnet it or add a virtual network. Rather than taking all the hours I would need to change the network, I reset a NETGEAR EX300 Network extender I used to use on the AT&T U-verse network for extended coverage. I renamed the Extender SSID & Password to what was on the U-verse Router and the doorbell automatically connected to it.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Assuming this means you set your Ring to a static IP, then you are correct. You need to reset or Ring to reconfigure it. The other possible solution is to add an external router for the 2.4 ghz band wifi and set that router’s IP to the same as what you had with the ATT router. I say “possible” because if you go with external router, then it will create two NAT layers for everything connected to the 2.4 ghz wifi. This may cause other issues or it may work just fine depending on what your connected devices and apps need.

Your extender won’t work because it doesn't support DHCP. It will still use the same IP range as the TMO router.

If you decide to give the external router a try, there are numerous posts in this community on recommended ones and how to connect to your TMO router plus disabling the wifi on some models of the TMO router.

If the expense is not palatable, you could always borrow an external router to connect to your Ring. Then you could change wifi setting via your Ring app. Just keep in mind that you can’t have both your TMO router and external router using the same SSIDs if both are turned on. You will have no control of which SSID your Ring decides to connect to if both are using the same SSID.