Question

Technical Issues with T-Mobile WiFi on Intel Evo Laptop after Switching from Xfinity

• 23 March 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge +1

Hello, forum members,

I recently switched from Xfinity to T-Mobile for my internet service provider, and I am experiencing technical issues with my Intel Evo laptop connecting to T-Mobile WiFi.

Although both networks are still available, my Intel Evo laptop [https://www.lenovo.com/sg/en/faqs/intel/intel-evo-platform/] is unable to connect to T-Mobile WiFi, and I receive an error message stating that it cannot be used. I have attempted several troubleshooting techniques, such as resetting my laptop's network settings, forgetting and reconnecting to T-Mobile WiFi, and resetting the T-Mobile router. However, the issue persists.

I suspect that there may be compatibility issues between T-Mobile WiFi and my Intel Evo laptop, but I cannot confirm this. Therefore, I would appreciate any insights or advice from fellow forum members who may have faced similar issues when switching internet service providers.

Additionally, I would like to know if there are any specific settings or configurations that need to be applied to connect to T-Mobile WiFi successfully. I have checked the T-Mobile support forums, but I have not found a satisfactory solution.

Any suggestions or workarounds that have been identified to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance for your help, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards, 

Judy

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Judy, what gateway did T-Mobile send you? The latest is the Arcadyan KVD21 5G gateway. Have you successfully connected any other devices to your new gateway?

There is no reason you shouldn't be able to connect a Windows computer to your new network. We’re a Mac household, and I've got over 46 devices connected to my KVD21.

If I understand your problem correctly, you can see the network advertising on your Evo but get an error message when you try and connect. I would suggest creating a new network on your gateway and see if downgrading the WPA level will fix the issue.

Again, I'm assuming you have the Arcadyan KVD21 5G gateway. Open the T-Mobile phone app and then tap Networks on the bottom. From there, tap the “+” sign on the bottom right of the page. Create a new network with a new SSID (name) and make sure the frequency band is 2.4 MHz. Also make sure that WPA Version is set to WPA/WPA2. (Your original network should be WPA2/WPA3.)

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and make sure the Hidden switch is set to OFF, then tap Save. Your gateway will reboot and your new network will be available, in addition to the other one. See if you can't connect your laptop to the new network.

I'd also check that your DNS settings are correct on your Evo. Make sure that the gateway’s IP address is the top entry. It should be 192.168.12.1, the gateway’s address. Also make sure you are using DHCP to obtain an IP address.

Let us know how you make out. Good luck! (And no, I do NOT work for T-Mobile.)