Question

tp-link router connected to tmobile gateway

• 30 December 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge
  • First activity
  • 0 replies

I need to connect my tp-link wifi router to tmobile gateway. This is necessary to manage QOS, content filtering etc which is already setup on router but not available on tmobile gateway? How can I achieve this type of connectivity?

Thanks.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

You can connect the WAN port of your router to the T-Mobile gateway via an Ethernet port on the gateway with a CAT5e or CAT6 Ethernet cable. The clients that currently are associated with the wireless network established on the TP-Link should still be just fine. The one caveat is that due to the NAT on the router you have and the gateway there will be a double NAT solution. It should work but some traffic might not behave as expected due to the double NAT. 

If you plan to run your TP-Link with the wireless radios and all clients on it to disable the wireless on the T-Mobile gateway. If you have the Arcadyan or Sagemcon gateway you will need to go review the YouTube videos that Nater Tater has done regarding the workaround backdoor solution to disable the wireless on the respective gateway. He has done some excellent videos and has solid information that many users have found extremely helpful. You can only do so much with the T-Mobile home internet mobile application so it is not that beneficial for your needs. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I don't think you need to shut off the radios on the Arcadyan KVD21 5G Gateway. Just create a network with a name  (SSID) you won't use, like DontUseThisWiFI, and make sure no one connects to it. Be sure and disable DHCP on the TP-Link router and you should be good to go.

There is no way to control NAT, DHCP or UPnP on the Arcadyan KVD21 5G Gateway, so if gaming is important to you, you may find that T-Mobile isn't the solution for you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

That is true you don't have to disable the SSID(s) on the TMO gateway but it would just be best practice to not have the exposure nor any possible interference due to the same frequencies or overlap. In theory if there is no traffic on the radio it should not have any contention. With the T-Mobile gateway and the second Ethernet port if you have a few clients that had issues with the double NAT you could connect a gigabit Ethernet switch and just hard wire a client or two on the front end network vs the one on the other side of the NAT where the wireless clients are controlled by the tp-link router. There is usually more than one way to skin a cat so they say.