Question

Trouble connecting t-mobile internet to surface lab top

• 5 October 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

My Microsoft surface device requires a “network security key” to connect to my T-Mobile Wi-Fi.

It’s been suggested that the network security key is the Wi-Fi password.

I’ve tried both the original T-Mobile gateway Wi-Fi password and the Wi-Fi password I’ve created when I connected the T-Mobile Internet. With no success.

Any other suggestions?

Is there a workaround where I can use my cell phone to connect to my surface device other than just a hotspot?

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

If your laptop is old, it may be having a problem with WPA3 encryption.  Maybe try setting up a 2.4HGhz-only SSID with WPA/WPA2 encryption and see you can connect to that.

Badge

Rogracer2000

thanks for your reply, I have no clue how to change my WPA settings.  Do you have specific steps I should take or places I should look for this information?

Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

You do it with the T-Mobile Internet app on your phone. 

Some devices cannot connect to the gateway’s default network.  You want to leave this network alone and ADD a second network with the + sign at the bottom of the Network tab in the T-Mobile Internet app.  For this new network, set the band to 2.4 GHz and set the WPA version to WPA/WPA2.  Try connecting your device to this second network.  Use the default network for your other devices, as much as possible.

Here are the T-Mobile support instructions for how to add the second network with the app.

Android  How to create additional Wi-Fi networks | T-Mobile Internet app | Android | T-Mobile Support

iOS  How to create additional Wi-Fi networks | T-Mobile Internet app | iOS | T-Mobile Support

How to change encryption mode:

Android  How to change the encryption mode | T-Mobile Internet app | iOS | T-Mobile Support

iOS How to change the encryption mode | T-Mobile Internet app | iOS | T-Mobile Support

Badge

Thank you.  This suggestion worked 

You do it with the T-Mobile Internet app on your phone. 

Some devices cannot connect to the gateway’s default network.  You want to leave this network alone and ADD a second network with the + sign at the bottom of the Network tab in the T-Mobile Internet app.  For this new network, set the band to 2.4 GHz and set the WPA version to WPA/WPA2.  Try connecting your device to this second network.  Use the default network for your other devices, as much as possible.

Here are the T-Mobile support instructions for how to add the second network with the app.

Android  How to create additional Wi-Fi networks | T-Mobile Internet app | Android | T-Mobile Support

iOS  How to create additional Wi-Fi networks | T-Mobile Internet app | iOS | T-Mobile Support

How to change encryption mode:

Android  How to change the encryption mode | T-Mobile Internet app | iOS | T-Mobile Support

iOS How to change the encryption mode | T-Mobile Internet app | iOS | T-Mobile Support

Followed these steps and it resolved my inability to connect my Micro-Soft Surface to my T-Mobile network.  It connected to other networks, including my Android T-Mobile Hot Spot, but not to the T-Mobile default network directly until I created the second 2.4 GHz network.