Solved

Use existing router as an access point?

• 2 November 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge

I just received and installed a new 5G internet device (the Sagemcom FAST one). In its present location, it is reporting 4 bars (very good) of reception. However, its wifi function is relatively weak in its location (and note I have it in the same location as the router I used with our previous cable internet service), so several of our wifi devices struggle to run properly (dropped connections, slow speeds, etc.). My existing router provides excellent coverage in our home so I’m wondering if I can use it as an access point with the 5G device. If so, how do I set them both up to make this happen?

icon

Best answer by BobT 3 November 2023, 14:00

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Yes, third party routers can be connected to the gateway via an Ethernet port on the gateway. Your router will have a choice as to how to configure the router (frequently as a router, access point or even range extender). How to specifically do that varies dependent on your router’s make and model; however, most reputable routers will guide you through the process once you connect to the router’s admin interface. Identify the router make and model and someone familiar with that specific router may be able to provide specifics.

Badge

Thanks, BobT. I have a TP-Link AXE5400 router. Can anyone give me a hand with this?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Section 4.4 of that router’s user guide covers setting up the router as an access point. Most of the higher end router manufacturers make it pretty easy - with that router I’d look into setting it up as a full blown router considering all of the features it offers.

https://static.tp-link.com/upload/manual/2023/202305/20230508/1910013344_Archer%20AXE5400_UG_REV1.0.0.pdf

Badge

OK, I’m a little confused. Is your opinion that I should use it as a router instead of an access point? And if so, how would I do that with the TMO device? (I’m worried that if both the TMO device and my device are functioning as routers, there will be some kind of conflict and/or other issues).

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

No, just suggesting setting it up as a router so you don’t lose any of its features - as an access point you’ll lose some features that are specific to that router. In both cases it starts with connecting your router’s WAN port to one of the TMobile ethernet ports…

See

Badge

The video was AWESOME! So I followed the instructions and am now using my TP-Link device as the router; and using the HINT app, I was able to turn off the wifi bands on the TMO device. Everything seems to be working OK…. Fingers crossed it stays that way!!! Thanks for your help!

I just received and installed a new 5G internet device (the Sagemcom FAST one). In its present location, it is reporting 4 bars (very good) of reception. However, its wifi function is relatively weak in its location (and note I have it in the same location as the router I used with our previous cable internet service), so several of our wifi devices struggle to run properly (dropped connections, slow speeds, etc.). My existing router provides excellent coverage in our home so I’m wondering if I can use it as an access point with the 5G device. If so, how do I set them both up to make this happen?

I been having the same issues and can’t seem to get any internet that can make my fire stick and/or other internet devices function properly! This is definitely a regretful decision I made leaving old provider and getting this slow and no service home internet!! I am gonna post bad reviews on any websites and Google for sure about this home internet issue! 

Badge

Danny G, I suggest you see the video in the youtube link that BobT sent me. If you’re getting good reception on the TMO device but poor wifi at your home, this video will guide you through the process of turning off wifi on the TMO device and using your existing router as the wifi router for TMO service. Also, I know TMO recommends you put their device “near a window”, but when I did that the best I got was 3 bars. On a whim I decided to try a spot near my old router (inside a closet, 2nd floor, about 12’ from the outside, through a couple of walls) and suddenly got 4 bars - consistently! So the message here is to not simply seek the best “near a window” location, but try other locations to see if reception improves. Also try in your attic if you have one (I think the higher the better improves reception), and last but not least, try rotating the TMO device. I found that when it’s facing directly East I get the best reception, but of course it can/will be different at your location.