Question

Whistle.com gps dog tracker

• 17 September 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge

I just recently switched from Spectrum as my ISP to Tmobile home internet black gateway (Aug 2022).  Everything moved over ok except for my two gps dog collar tracker devices. 

According to Whistle.com the device wants to be on 2.4gzh (so I changed it)... doesn't like WPA3  (changed that).  Still couldn't connect.  Further reading found that the gps device will not work with ipv6. Doesn't seem to be a way to change this on gateway.  Am I missing something? 

Thrilled to ditch Spectrum but this might be a deal breaker. Why is the gateway so user limited?

6 replies

I am having the same problem with my Whistle. Tech support is worthless.

Pleas let me if you figure.

Badge

For the moment I've piggybacked my collar gps to my neighbor's wifi. It's a temp fix to keep the dogs safe until my subscription is up.  Looking a Fi collar as option. 

Tmobile should wise up and fix this issue AND jump into this cellular subscription space.  I hate paying AT&T $100/yr per dog.  

I've had T-Mobile Home Internet for about a year both at home and at our cabin.  I haven't had a problem configuring "Safe" areas using the T-Mobile WiFi.  I did separate the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands with different names so my WiFi Security Cameras could explicitly connect to the 2.4.  This could have simplified connecting the Whistle as well.  

Same issue whistle collar not connecting to Wi-Fi after move. Tried hard resetting, created 2.4 band, stood next to the router, and still the whistle gps tracker will not connect. Factory reset both the devices and still no luck. If I don’t get a solution I’ll be forced to go to a different internet provider. 

I had the same issue, even after creating separate 5G and 2.4 G networks, then remembered I had a TP Link WiFi extender and created 2 more extended networks for both. So 4 total networks, a 5 G and 2.4 G with the t-moble Gateway and a 5 G and 2.4 G with the wifi extender. Worked like a charm on the 2.4 G extended network. The WiFi extender is cheap, so no major investment or hassle.

Whistle posted this list of problems.

https://support.whistle.com/en_us/whistle-known-technical-compatibility-issues-SkcWGwyF8

Towards the end it says Whistle will not work with WPA3. I used the T-Mobile app to switch to WPA2, and was able to connect.

I had to Forget/Connect on my Pixel phone, Kindle, and Surface Laptop. My Samsung Tablet and Roku sticks continued to work. Go figure.

I deleted the old Safe Place first working on another theory, and have no idea if that would be really necessary, but you can try that if the above doesn't work.