why so slow???

• 24 April 2024
  • 9 replies

Badge

Why are my internet speeds so embarrassingly slow??? Tech tickets, trouble shooting, excuses, everything other than a fix. I’m not talking slightly slow, I’m talking dead in the water to even watch standard def TV. I have speed test data and T-Mobile has no interest in seeing them. 

9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Provide some advanced Metrics Numbers. You can use the app to view and post or use the HINT App to find them. That should provide a clue to why.

Why are my internet speeds so embarrassingly slow??? Tech tickets, trouble shooting, excuses, everything other than a fix. I’m not talking slightly slow, I’m talking dead in the water to even watch standard def TV. I have speed test data and T-Mobile has no interest in seeing them. 

I have the same problem. Averaging 2 mbps. The only help they offer is resetting your network but it does nothing. I've been with T-Mobile for years and this is the first time Ive thought about switching carriers. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

With no information about Metrics how can anyone help you guys? lol

Badge

Move the gateway around your house.  Originally I had it in the room that’s window faced the closest tower.  Then I put it into another room that seemed to catch higher speeds, even with a less powerfull signal.  Ended up going back to the original room, and with a little tweaking I’m getting 300-400 mbps download and 80 mbps upload.  Try to tweak it a bit.  If it doesn’t work, just bail and head back to cable.

For the first several months I have been receiving astounding speeds such as 300-400 Mbps down and 50 Mbps up.  Tonight speeds have crashed.  10 Mbps down and less than 1 Mbps up.  The network receiver hasn’t moved an inch.  And I checked to make sure I wasn’t close to any data max.  any hypotheses?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

For the first several months I have been receiving astounding speeds such as 300-400 Mbps down and 50 Mbps up.  Tonight speeds have crashed.  10 Mbps down and less than 1 Mbps up.  The network receiver hasn’t moved an inch.  And I checked to make sure I wasn’t close to any data max.  any hypotheses?

Without any advanced Metrics provided or even the type of Gateway you have No one can even guess what your problem may be.

My image of the advanced metrics does not seem to be uploading.  Suffice it to say that except for “Reference signal received quality” everything else is listed as “Poor.”   Got through to service last night and they revealed the problem is my nearby tower isn’t working properly.  No estimated time for a fix.  This was also affecting my 5G service to my cell phone, which made the call difficult with many cutouts.  

Both the T-Mobile internet and the cell phone had been working so well for months so I got rid of my landline.  That now is clearly a mistake as all my communications depend on one cell tower.  If a tower is down I can’t even call T-Mobile service!  Service suggested trying to the Gateway in different locations to find a different tower, but I can tell that there is now nowhere in my house where my cell phone gets halfway decent 5G connection.

I guess dropping cable was too hasty.

OK, another gotcha.  Images will not upload in Safari on a Macbook but will in Chrome.  Sorry about the size.  Anyway, here are the advanced metrics that RPA wanted.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

That makes a lot of sense then. Both phone and gateway having trouble. We had a similar issue with the Tower. Fortunately T-Mobile fixed it within a 2 days. Since it was the only Tower in our subdivision. Calls can be made but data service was practically gone.