Question

Wifi DHCP and other Config on 5G Home Internet

• 10 August 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge

It appears from connecting on 192.168.12.1, and searching the TM Community posts that it is not possible to do standard Power user configuration, e.g., change subnet, disable the Wifi easily, port forward for remote access, etc.

Can someone confirm there is no ability to set these up?  

There is another post from DaaBoss, saying just offer a Network bridge, without NAT and Wifi.  That, together with a separate OpenWRT router would be far more useful than the 5G Home internet product. So far this is disappointing.  

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@dtison I can confirm that there are no editable settings other than adding your SSID and security settings. The IP is static. If you want features like port forwarding, remote access, etc. you will need to do what I did which was to add a wifi router. I can do everything I want with a good signal. Basically, the TM gateway devices are simply gateways to their cellular internet network. No cool features. 

My setup:

TM gateway > Netgear MR60 wifi mesh router (via ethernet) > all devices get a DHP spooled IP from the MR60 and all devices connect to the internet via the MR60. The gateways only function is to provide internet access to the MR60. You can get a cheaper wifi router, but I wanted a mesh system due to my house layout.

I hope this helps.

Badge

Yes it helps. Mesh is yet another reason to want ability to configure the setup.

Did you say yours is set up for remote admin?

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@dtison it is NOT setup for remote access. I don’t have a need to remotely administer my network. 

@copz1998 In the setup you described above, I assume the DHCP (ip assigment) is still happening at the T-Mobile Gateway, no?  I see we aren’t able to put the gateway in bridge mode (the only way I’ve ever done it when I want my personal router to handle all IP assignments).  How is your setup?  Is your MR60 doing address assignment, or is it configured really to just be an access point, rather than a router, letting the TM Gateway do the routing?  Curious. I’m new to T-Mobile Home Internet

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@webbhead the MR60 was doing the DHCP assessment. The TM gateway only acts as an internet provider for the MR60. Sine the original post I changed from MR60 to the eero 6+ mesh system. 

@copz1998 regardless of which router (MR60 or eero 6+ mesh), was there anything special, in terms of settings, that you had to do with 1 router connected to another router.  I’ve honestly only done it with my Xfinity setup.  In that case I put the Xfinity router in “bridge mode”, so it passed all DHCP work to my Amplifi Mesh router.  I take it I wouldn’t have HAD to do that “bridge mode” based on what you are telling me.  Just plug and play? I assume I would just “hide” the SSID that the TM gateway was broadcasting, and then just connect to whatever 3rd party router I choose to connect to the gateway and voila?.  Hope the comments and questions make sense :)

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@webbhead , you are partially correct. My Eero 6+ provides the IP addresses and wifi internet access for all of my clients (thermostats, frig, tablets, phones, etc.). The TM gateway provides internet access to my eero. The TM gateway is plugged into the WAN port of the Eero main unit (I do have a mesh system).

I logged into my Eero app, went to the network settings, and switched it to “bridge mode.” I rebooted both when I started the process - TM gateway first, then the Eero wifi router. All devices (unless manually IP’ed) receive their IP from the TM gateway DHCP server. I used the HINT Control app to turn off any SSID/beacon from the TM gateway.  

I hope this helps.