Question

Wifi extenders disconnect from 5G gateway

• 20 February 2024
  • 5 replies

Badge

I own 2 different wifi extenders, a TP-Link AC1900 (RE550) and a NETGEAR EX2800. Both werked flawlessly with my Starlink router and with my Omada router when Starlink was in bypass mode.  However, immediately upon starting usage of my new 5G T-Mobile gateway, the extenders periodically lose connection with the internet.  Sometimes, when I connect to an extender, there is a 5 second delay and then the internet somehow comes on. Other times, it takes over a minute or two.  This is unacceptable as I have smart devices dependent on these extenders and they regularly lose connection with the internet.  Since this issue only started with the T-Mobile gateway I can only conclude it’s a T-Mobile issue.  Anyone have any thoughts before I return my gateway and cancel my test drive service?  

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@SaintMiguel Here is a discussion on your topic. The Netgear extender should work. 

Here is the setup recommendation from Bocaboy2951:

There is a discovery/setup routine for the Netgear Extender that you access either through your phone using the Netgear app, or via a web browser. The extender will be wirelessly connected to your primary WiFi network after setup. You can read the instructions for your new extender to see the exact steps for getting started.

During setup, the Netgear will ask you for a name (SSID) for the extended network. You have two choices. You can either give it a new name, e.g., MyNetwork2, or the same name as your primary network. In my case, I had a dead spot in my home where a smart plug and Amazon Echo couldn't “see” the primary WiFi. Since the only reason for the extender was to serve those two devices in that area, I created a second WiFi network on the extender and connected those two devices to the extender. I also hid the extender’s network SSID so that visitors to my home wouldn't inadvertently try and connect to it.

If, however, you intend to have users be able to have a WiFi signal in the area where you're installing the extender, give it the same name and password as your primary network, e.g., MyNetwork. As people roam through your home, they will automatically be transferred to the Netgear extender, then back to the primary network when they leave its coverage.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Badge

My Netgear extender is configured correctly and has the same exact issue as my TP-Link which tells me it’s the gateway. Perhaps I got bad hardware?  Just want to know if this is expected behavior or not.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Maybe bad hardware. I wonder if the wifi extenders need firmware updates? If they intermittently drop the signal, there could be a few reasons for that. I wonder if you setup a new SSID (for 2.5Ghz and 5Ghz, and name them something unique like “Extender”. Then see if your extenders can see one or both of the new SSIDs.

I hope this helps. 

Badge

Yeah, firmware is up to date.  I tried unique SSID’s and matching SSIDs. Same problem.  I might try and swap my gateway hardware and see if that helps...

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

It might be worth it to take the gateway back to your local TM store and ask for an exchange unit due to the connectivity issue.