Question

wifi thermostat connection to home internet

• 11 June 2022
  • 1 reply

Badge

I installed T Mobile home internet and all my devices work with the exception of NV Energy Wifi thermostat.  I have split and set up the 2.4 and 5 bands.  So far I have disconnected and reconnected my T Mobile connecting wifi lights on 2.4, tablets, Alexa, but not the thermostat.

S ok meone suggested connecting Netgear Nighthawk router, but I cannot get the router to connect up with T Mobile internet, so this solution failed.

TMobile home internet has been great except this one issue

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

For your Netgear Nighthawk, try connecting a network cable from one of the ethernet ports on the TMO gateway to the WAN port on the Nighthawk. From there you have a couple choices with how your Nighthawk operates.

Access Point Mode - this will create a pass through from your Nighthawk router to TMO gateway for IP assignment. This will avoid creating “double NAT” if the is a problem for any of your network devices. Downside is that most of your router features will not be available since it is not functioning as a router.

DHCP - this will create a new DHCP layer behind the TMO gateway and all of your devices connected to the Nighthawk will not have access to any devices on the TMO network. Benefit is that all of your router features will now work like selecting DNS. Downside is this creates a “double NAT” which some devices may not be able to resolve.

My personal configuration of my own router is DHCP so I have “double NAT”. I don’t have any problems with my devices. Here is my list of devices that I have:

• Nest Termostat Gen 2
  • Amazon Echo
  • Chamberlain MyQ
  • ADT Security
  • Apple TV, iPhone 13, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air
  • Various Alexa enabled smart switches and thermometers