Question

Will using my own router resolve some issues with the T-mobile router?

• 7 October 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

I’m having a few issues with my 5g T-mobile gateway/router (the cylinder) with my HP printer and maybe my Roku (I stopped seeing its Wi-Fi a few days ago). What I’m wondering is, if I use my own router in bridge/AP mode and connect to that, will that resolve potential issues I’m seeing? Or no, since it’s all part of the same network anyway?

5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I’m having a few issues with my 5g T-mobile gateway/router (the cylinder) with my HP printer and maybe my Roku (I stopped seeing its Wi-Fi a few days ago). What I’m wondering is, if I use my own router in bridge/AP mode and connect to that, will that resolve potential issues I’m seeing? Or no, since it’s all part of the same network anyway?

Personally, I think using your own router will resolve issues. I simply plugged my eero 6+ into an ethernet port in back of the T-mobile gateway and it worked.  I only had to sign in my network password with various devices, even though it was the same eero password as before.  Try your router and see if it helps. If not, go back to using the gateway as a router. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The issues with devices dropping off of WiFi and them not reconnecting properly, is due to the way the T-Mobile modem suspends devices not using WiFi. like when your Roku is off but still maintaining the connection to the WiFi.  Putting your router in AP Mode and connecting it to the T-Mobile modem and connecting your devices to the router in AP Mode will ensure your devices that are connected to WiFi, will remain connected even after being turned off for a while.  

Badge

I am fed up with T-Mobile home 5g internet..2 different gateways the round grey one saying connected with no internet...now I have the square black one saying connected unable to provide internet.....I spent all weekend on the phone in the store back on phone for hour or so doing every test they could think of no answers..not it's going to the engineer's....one last chance and I'm finding someone else 

Badge

Magic Jack (VOIP) does not work properly with my T-Mobile Gateway Nokia 5G21. There are no settings available on the Gateway to Disable the SIP-ALG that reportedly causes much of the VOIP issues...e.g. one way voice--I hear them, they don’t hear me. Calls going straight to answering etc.

I bought a Linksys dual band router to insert between the Magic Jack and the T-Mobile Gateway as recommended by one expert...was able to ensure SIP-ALG is disabled but the one way talk problem persisted.

Has anyone solved this problem? I have changes all related hardware: i.e. ethernet cables, phone cables, power supply to Magic Jack module (matters not if it is self powered or connected directly to laptop)

Last resort is I have ordered a new MJ module but not very confident.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

As a new T-Mobile Home Internet customer, I too have encountered some problems. The issues stem mostly from a customer’s inability to access any meaningful settings on the gateway. I have an Arcadyan KVD21 5G Gateway that T-Mobile provided (the square gateway, not the cylinder). One issue right off the bat is DHCP. If you have an existing router hooked into your cable modem, or an all-in-one unit from, say, Xfinity, you can configure DHCP. It's the same with the Verizon and AT&T gateways.

Not so on the Arcadyan KVD21 5G Gateway. As I'm sure you know, you can only have one DHCP server on a network or you will have problems. Therefore, the only way to add a router to the gateway is to use the router as an access point only.

This lack of transparency into the Arcadyan KVD21 5G Gateway (and others) was to make the connection to the T-Mobile network as painless as possible for the average user. Unfortunately, that results in some problems to users who want to customize their installations. As an example, there is no Network Address Translation (NAT).

I can't speak to why a VOIP solution like Magic Jack wouldn't work, but it might have something to do with the access to the Internet that T-Mobile is providing. Unlike a cable modem or DSL, which connects the customer directly to the Internet, T-Mobile connects via a cell tower that also uses voice and data transmissions for it's customers. My guess is that the protocol(s) that Magic Jack uses are incompatible with the cell tower you're connecting to.

As for not connecting to the T-Mobile network (no Internet), can the T-M store connect when you bring the gateway into them? If so, then the problem isn't with the gateway, it's with your geographic location and/or placement in your home/office.

My TMHI is working very well for me in S. Florida, although I was hoping for more speed. For now, I'm connected over 4G LTE, not 5G, but I think over time that T-Mobile will continue to expand their network and enhance their services. I believe this because they are in competition with Verizon, Xfinity, AT&T, Hotwire, et al, and they need to provide services that will drive potential customers to use their service. Hopefully some of the issues you're experiencing will be resolved in the near future.