Solved

Wrong Location

• 17 April 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge

This is very annoying.  I live in western Montana, yet when I’m online, websites show I’m in Seattle, Washington, more than 500 miles away and in a different time zone.  Surely someone in T-Mobile’s IT department is smart enough to fix this.

icon

Best answer by Rogracer2000 20 April 2024, 13:39

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

This is very annoying.  I live in western Montana, yet when I’m online, websites show I’m in Seattle, Washington, more than 500 miles away and in a different time zone.  Surely someone in T-Mobile’s IT department is smart enough to fix this.

Welcome to the world of cellular internet.  The location reported is for your IP address which is the established at the facility where TM aggregates all cellular signals and ultimately connects to the internet.  You can’t control that.  It may even change from time-to-time.  The best you can do is use applications that don’t care about it, or allow you to establish a physical location (Like YouTube TV).  Some VPNs may also allow you to do that.

Badge

I understand the why of it.  The purpose of my post was in hopes of inspiring some of the techies at T-Mobile to come up with a work-around.  I’m not holding my breath, but it would be nice.