Solved

cruising to mexico

• 3 April 2024
  • 7 replies

Badge

I heard to turn phone to airplane mode while on the ship so if I want to call home while in mexico do I just turn off airplane ? then off again when on the ship? heard lots of stories of being charged high amounts for not turning on airplane mode on the cruise ship

icon

Best answer by gramps28 3 April 2024, 19:03

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Keep your phone in airplane mode while on the cruise ship and turn it on when on land away from the cruise ship and remember to turn it back on when you get back to the ship.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I heard to turn phone to airplane mode while on the ship so if I want to call home while in mexico do I just turn off airplane ? then off again when on the ship? heard lots of stories of being charged high amounts for not turning on airplane mode on the cruise ship

Make sure you are a good distance away, like a few miles, just to make sure you are not connecting to the ships cell tower.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Most US based ships are ‘supposed to wait’ until in international waters before turning on cell service, but netter safe than sorry for this.  A few years back, i forced my phone while.in Europe to NOT use 3g (ships were using) and only use 4g LTE.  It worked fine,  however it would have been a big bill if had connected.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I wish there were a way to get phones to ignore specific MNCs. I’ve been able to pick up land-based cellular signals many miles out at sea. But if there is a stronger signal on the ship, the phone will lock onto it.

Be aware that some foreign carriers and I suspect ship-based systems undertake “roaming enhancement” procedures, by refusing to release roaming registrations when phones are turned off. This is why you should put your phone into airplane mode when you get within a reasonable distance from the ship. The ships should not run their cell systems in port but the temptation to make more money of the cellular system is great. If you ever catch a cruise ship running their cellular system in a US port, it should be reported to the FCC.

Badge

How can I tell if I connected to the ships Internet or not?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

It will show what wifi network you're connected to in the network settings.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I don’t believe that T-Mobile will connect to a ship’s cellular internet service, if such exists. The phone will connect to the ship’s WIFi if you have signed up for WiFi service, which is normally an extra charge. (I’m told that Viking does not charge extra for WiFi.)