Question

Going to Europe

• 1 July 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge

I am going to Europe for couple of years. 
I would like to keep my US number as I use it for business also. 

In the store they told me that if I was outside the US (phone not connected to US net) they would disconnect the line. 
I talked to one person who did go to Europe from 8/2020 - 5/2022 and that worked fine. It was not disconnected. It was on a $20 plan. 
Anyone have experience with this? 

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

If you're usage is roaming for 50% of usage for more than 90 days Tmobile can cancel the service.

The person you talked to probably had his phone connected to wifi to avoid a cellular connection.

Your best bet is to port that number to Google voice if you plan on getting a local sim.

Badge

He did not have it connected to WIFI. 
I just got off the phone with T-Mobile support. They stated that they will NOT close any account no matter how long I will be outside the country. 
So now I do not know what to believe 🤷🏻

Badge

I am going to Europe for couple of years. 
I would like to keep my US number as I use it for business also. 

In the store they told me that if I was outside the US (phone not connected to US net) they would disconnect the line. 
I talked to one person who did go to Europe from 8/2020 - 5/2022 and that worked fine. It was not disconnected. It was on a $20 plan. 
Anyone have experience with this? 

Update 7/1

I just got off the phone with T-Mobile support. They stated that they will NOT close any account no matter how long I will be outside the country. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

These reps should read the terms and condition customers sign. Tmobile can terminate excessive Roaming, international or local.

https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibility/legal/terms-and-conditions

Badge

oh I see 
While roaming internationally, your data throughput may be reduced, and your Service may be otherwise limited or terminated at any time without notice.
Called again. and this time the person tells me that it will be disconnected after 3 months. 
Only active military personnel has an exemption. 

You said “Your best bet is to port that number to Google voice if you plan on getting a local sim.”
I did some research on google voice and google FI. That did not seem to be a solution. 
You mean I can go to Denmark. Get a local phone/sim and then port my US number to that sim? 

Badge

Talked to another person in support. He seemed to be a little more knowledgeable. 
The solution would be to move my number to a T-Mobile Digits talk and text, $30, plan. 
Install the digits app on the phone. 
When in Europe, as long as I have WIFI or mobile data I can receive calls and text. 
Only downside is that I will not be able to receive the “reset password” etc text messages with the code you have to type in. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

If you port the line to Google voice then get a local plan with a new number then when someone calls or texts the Google voice number it will use the local plan. Not sure about roaming charges from the local carrier.

I recently moved to Arizona and didn't want to change my phone number so I got a Google voice number with the local area code to use for busines calls and it uses my Tmobile plan.