Question

International Roaming Not Working

• 8 March 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge

Hello,

I entered Mexico on 2/20/22 on vacation and received my “Welcome to Mexico” automated text message telling me that I have international data. My data worked fine up until mid-day 3/3/22 and it has not worked since (now 3/8/22).

I am unable to figure out why this is and I have tried just about everything with the phone including activating a new SIM and putting the SIM into a different phone. Everything posted here on the forums and on Google has not helped as well.

Can you please look into this for me and let me know if there is some block on my account or something else going on?

Thank you!

• Nick

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

But texts and calls are working? Have you called T-Mobile at +1-505-998-3793? When you say data isn’t working, how have you tested it? Have you done PING tests or are you unable to use the Facebook app?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Depending on your plan, you might have reached your limit for high speed data.  Data might still be working, just so incredibly slow, it might as well not be working.  No one here has access to your account so you will have to contact Customer Care or reach out to T-Mobile’s T-Force Team via Facebook or Twitter.  

Badge

Same issue here. My plan states that I have 2g of speeds while traveling, yet as soon as I enter a country(Mexico, Germany, Italy) my phone bricks and reaches what appears to be 2kb speeds of data. As soon as I add-on the $5 a day pass (my only option unless I use my laptop) the phone starts working normally again. 

When the pass expires it goes back to bricking my phone. Meaning it takes approx 5m to load a page. So the 2gb is a lie. I am unable to get the exact speeds since the phone is so limited in speed that it can’t run the speed test. 

All this said, its fine that I have to use the add-on, being lied to though is maddening. However, the add-on is $5 a day which appears as the only option until I login to the desktop app and then I am able to get 30 days for $35. There is no other option which is also maddening. I have to keep adding the international plan every day if I am staying for less than 7 days. 

I wish T-Moblie would provide a better international experience. Verizon had zero issues when I traveled. It would instantly just work at the speeds they claimed without requiring add-ons or it would state clearly what the cost were in a text, I could OK the cost and it would just work. T-mobiles crappy international implementation is what is forcing me to switch back to Verizon once my plan is up in a year. 

Badge

Update: So it appears I did not read the fine print. See the attached. The international speed for the magenta plan 1 is 128kb, which has been an inadequate speed since 1998. Nothing will work at this speed. Its a complete scam that T-mobile is misleading customers into believing their phone will work internationally. The only way it will work is with the add-on, which I must say works rather well. I just wish I was not mislead and lied to. My earlier post still applies, that even ignoring the lies (fine print scam) the needing to reactivate the add-on everyday to make the phone WORK is too much of an annoyance to continue with these scammers. I will be switching to Verizon. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I wouldn't call that misleading.  Consumer ignorance is more like it.  They clearly state the speed.  It is up to the customer to realize that is pretty much useless to them. 

Badge

I live in San Diego, CA and cross into Baja (Tijuana, Rosarito, Ensenada) very often.  The 128kbps is good for WhatsApp and sending emails.  That's about it.  I actually got the upgrade for international data at 256k.  It's a bit more useable.  I do run out of the 5gb of international data almost every month, then I get the 256k.  I can actually stream on YouTube and use Facebook.  Just not Netflix or anything like that.