Question

international roaming settings

• 13 October 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge
  • First activity
  • 2 replies

Our plan allows usage in 220 countries.

When in Italy as long as I’m not making phone calls do I have to change any roaming settings?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

It depends.  If you are using an iPhone, iMessage requires data to work so roaming needs to be enabled.  If you are using an Android device.  Most MMS apps for Android have a roaming setting within the app specifically for SMS.  If you only want to be able to text from Android.  That should be fine.  MMS requires data roaming to be on unless connected to WiFi.  

Incoming and outgoing calls to your device that your device receives while connected to a roaming partner, even if they go to your voicemail, are still billable.

Badge

@syaoran yes we are using iPhones. we were here 2 years ago and had no issues, but of course I’m trying to remember.  Tell me is this a thing…. data roaming on but airplane mode also on and iMessage works… cause I think that’s happening on my wife’s phone. I purchased an eSim.  

2 years ago we used it not problem, was also able to use google voice to make calls using data, no luck this time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Your phone should just work, assuming that you have not changed any of the settings, such as Data Roaming. What service plan are you on?

Here are my suggestions for cost-effective roaming.

Badge

@drnewcomb we are on magenta unlimited 55

I will look at your suggestions