Question

MMS messages (esp. Iphone) won't download over wifi

• 14 August 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

Samsung s21-5G.  I am outside the country.   WiFi calling and and individual messages from one sender come in just fine.   Group texts will just not download.  Usually I can see a message is there and it says tap to download but if you tap I just spins and never downloads.  

Usually if I restart the phone entirely it will load the messsages so I think I have all the settings correct to do this but it only seems to work the moments after full restart.  

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

for some reason your phone isnt staying connected to wifi or a data signal. you get that download deal either when your data signal is really weak or not there. and you’ll usually only see it when it comes to group texts and or pic texts since those need data to send/receive.

Badge

WiFI strong and fast.  I can always send messages.  I can also send and receive texts with photos from a single person.  But when it is a group MMS it won’t download.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

When you restart your phone, it gets a fresh connection to the network and in the first few minutes it is common to download those items that were struggling before the restart. Another things to consider is the number of messages currently on the device. If you have too many messages or your storage on the phone is getting full, group messages and pictures will not download. I have seen in the past where restarting the phone can force through a few extra, but it is not a permanent fix and eventually stops working.