Question

Simple Choice North America and Europe Vacation

• 22 April 2024
  • 1 reply

Badge

I have a grandfathered plan, Simple Choice North America, which is perfect for my needs at home. We have an upcoming cruise acation, taking us to the UK, Belgium, Netherlands, Norway and Iceland. My initial plan had been to buy the $50 International Data Pass for 30 days, so I can use my phone there and not need to swap out a European Sim. (My phone is an S10 and doesn’t support eSim.)

Then, I saw the news story about the Florida man charged $146,000 after a T-Mobile rep told him he was covered and I wanted to double check here.

If I buy this $50 International Data and text pass and block voice calling, I should not incur any expenses while on my travels? (The phone will be in airplane mode while on the cruise ship itself. I mainly need it while in ports of call.)

I just need this clarified and to avoid what happened with the Florida man.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I can’t say on the ‘Simple Choice’ plan (you’ll need to verify by country online.

I did have the One Plan , and jumped Germany to Italy, caught a cruise to Slovenia, Croatia, Greece and Malta.  Data was slow (128kbps - this was 2018, if I recall).  

Ensure that you disable your phone prior to getting on the ship.  I actually pulled the SIMs out to avoid possible / accidental disabling of airplane mode prior to getting onboard.

It did work fine for me, but … if you’re concerned at all, just get a local prepaid in Europe when you get there.