Question

Studying Abroad in Japan for 4 months - Best Option

• 17 December 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge

Hi!  My daughter will be studying abroad in Japan for 4 months.  We currently have the Simple Choice North America Unlimited Talk and Text family plan.  She has an unlocked iPhone 13 Pro, and I believe she is using eSim for our T-mobile plan.  What are her best options for talk, text, and data in Japan:

1. 30 Day (15GB) International Data Pass,$50.00  For up to 30 days in 215+ destinations, you get: 

1. Up to 15GB of high-speed international data, this data can also be used as a Mobile Hotspot

2. Unlimited calling

3. Note: Once you use all your high-speed data, you will continue to have unlimited calling and data for the full 30 days but may experience slower data speeds. If you use all your high-speed data and purchase a NEW pass before the expiration of the first one, your second pass will begin immediately. Your original pass and any remaining benefits will expire when you activate the new pass. Speeds & coverage vary based on device and country. Qualifying plan required.

2. 10GB of high-speed mobile hotspot data $10.00/mo 
    1. Get an additional 10GB of high-speed mobile hotspot data. Taxes and fees are not included in the cost.

3. Get a local Japanese Sim card (eSim, physical)?  I assume she would have a Japanese phone number with this option.  Can we have two sims - keep T-mobile and add a Japanese sim?  Should she get a Japanese eSim or physical sim card?  Any recommendations?  Mobal, Japan-wireless, Softbank, Airalo, Sun-Net, GTN mobile, Assist Solutions.  Also, I’m hearing that if she has a Japanese number,  two-factor authentication for apps in the states could be a problem and thus having both US T-mobile sim and Japanese sim may work to alleviate this problem.

Thank you!

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Personally, I would stay away from using Tmobile for that long for international use and taking a chance on getting the line canceled for excessive  international roaming. Tmobile plans aren't meant for long term international roaming per Tmobile’s terms and conditions.

@drnewcomb has more insight in international use.