Solved

Temporary International Move

• 8 October 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hello, my wife and I both have T-Mobile and we’ve temporarily moved out of the US to finish my schooling. We will be gone for about 10 months. With our plan we have unlimited data and text internationally, with the stipulation that “no excessive roaming” is allowed. I can’t find a definition of what excessive roaming is, so I’m curious about how long we have until we get cut off. I would also like to know if there is any way for us to keep our current lines/phone numbers for the duration of our time overseas, even if it involves paying extra.

icon

Best answer by syaoran 8 October 2023, 23:49

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

It's usually if 50% of your usage is on international towers for 2 months they may terminate.

T-Mobile plans aren't designed for long term international roaming..

Badge

I get that they aren’t designed for that specifically, I’m just asking to see if there are any feasible options such as purchasing back to back international passes, temporarily suspending my line and picking it back up when I return so that I can keep the same number, etc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

You can do a seasonal suspension twice for 90 days but that wouldn't take you to the 10 months.

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/account/account-suspensions

@drnewcomb might know a different option.

Badge

Whenever I speak to a customer rep I get a variety of different reasons of why one can’t travel internationally for more than 90 days & still keep my account & number.  One person even told me that I should leave my older iPhone 10 in the US & then when I receive notification that my account will be suspended, call t-mobile & switch activation from where I’m traveling ( India )  back to the US even though I won’t be here to use it.  Once the 15 is un-blocked I can get another e-sim in India which is fine but that really doesn’t solve anything.  Perhaps you just pay your bill & hope for the best or just let them cancel & start from scratch!

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

If you can keep the majority of your use on WiFi with WiFi Calling enabled.  You will more than likely not get flagged for roaming.  The key is, staying on WiFi as much as possible with WiFi Calling enabled with your device set to WiFi preferred.