Question

Using my phone in the Philippines

• 2 December 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge

I’m on the Magenta Max 55 plan and will be traveling to the Philippines later this month. I see a lot of confusing and contradictory information about costs and coverage while I’m there. In some places TMobile says the Philippines aren’t covered, in some places it says it is.

Will there be fees for voice, text or data while in the Philippines? Are there limits on voice, text or data? Will buying an International Pass make any difference?

And if you can point me to where I can find these questions answered clearly I’d really appreciate it.

Thank you.

-Brian

7 replies

Hey Brian.  Did they give you any answer yet?  please advise.  I am really confused on what the customer reps are saying. Every time I call I get a different answer. Also going to the Philippines.

Thanks!

Badge

Not yet. But searching the website and google i think the answer is that, in the Philippines, with the Magenta Max plan, there is no extra charge for unlimited text and slow data. Voice calls will be $. 25 per minute and faster data can be purchased with a data pass. But I'd like to have confirmation of this so that I don't risk coming hime to a $500 phone bill.

-Brian

I just got to talk to a TMobile rep, fortunately a Filipina. Confirmed that under Magenta PLans, there is unlimited text and call is charge $0.25 cents/minute.  The Magenta Max will have a 5GB speed in all the 215 destinattions but the Magenta will only have 11 European countries and the rest including Philippines will have 256Kbps only.

She advised that your data roaming should be set on so upon reaching the Philippines, it will automatically choose the best mobile network or connection. availalbe.

Also advised that to avoid call charges better to connect to a wifi there and use the app that can connect us e.g. Viber, messenger, etc.

Hope that helps and will work once there.

Badge

Thank you, that’s very helpful.

-Brian

Hi,

Just an extra tip. I decided to keep my plan going even after moving back to the Philippines. But after realizing I’ll be connected to wi-fi often anyway, I changed my plan to the “Simple Choice North America 2GB MI” I have slower data outside but I hardly feel it tbh. I use Google Voice so I can still call people from N America without getting charged for it. 

For calling and texting locally, I use services like Viber or Messenger. I think most people have those. 

Depending on where you will be, there’s wi-fi bound to be somewhere near by when you’re out travelling. 

I spent 57 days in the Philippines last year and I have Magenta 55+. I had unlimited text via SMS for 2 step authentication. Most of the time, I was on wifi but did have some data use when traveling ((hotspot worked as well). I never called while there because I read it was 25 cent a minute. I still have the text on my phone welcoming me to Japan when I was on the way home to Florida. Forgot to turn on Airplane mode.

Leaving next month and I am a bit concerned about the registration of SIM cards in the Philippines and what kind of effect that will have on T-Mobile service. I’m going to contact the T-Mobile folks and ask what I need to do, if anything. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I spent 57 days in the Philippines last year and I have Magenta 55+. I had unlimited text via SMS for 2 step authentication. Most of the time, I was on wifi but did have some data use when traveling ((hotspot worked as well). I never called while there because I read it was 25 cent a minute. I still have the text on my phone welcoming me to Japan when I was on the way home to Florida. Forgot to turn on Airplane mode.

Leaving next month and I am a bit concerned about the registration of SIM cards in the Philippines and what kind of effect that will have on T-Mobile service. I’m going to contact the T-Mobile folks and ask what I need to do, if anything. 

https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/international-roaming-plans?country=Philippines