Question

Data usage for radio listening

• 11 March 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge

How does listening to Sirius XM or Pandora affect my data usage?  Am I likely to incur extra cost if I have “unlimited” data?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

all streaming apps use data..usually not a ton unless its videos etc..also keep in mind that yes you have unlimited data however if you use a LOT of data per billing cycle you could end up being pushed down to 3G speeds instead..but if the main things you do are listen to sirius or pandora that would take a TON of streaming..i do it 5 days a week about 3-4 hours not including any streaming while driving and dont hit the 50gb limits..and im on my phone a LOT.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Sirius XM is both a satellite and streaming service. If you listen to Sirius XM through a satellite receiver, it won’t affect your data usage at all. If you listen on your phone, it uses data. Pandora is a streaming service and it uses data. If you have unlimited data, you won’t be billed extra for the data usage but you will probably have to pay the streaming service.

Badge

Understood.  However, the vehicle I just bought has no satellite receiver.  I can use bluetooth of course, but if streaming through my phone uses too much data, then I’ll be forced to drop my Sirius subscription.  That is why I asked.

If you have an "unlimited" data plan, it typically means that your mobile carrier does not impose a specific data usage limit. However, it's important to note that some carriers may implement a practice called "deprioritization" once you exceed a certain threshold of data usage. This means that during periods of network congestion, your data speeds may be temporarily reduced compared to users who haven't reached the threshold. The specific conditions and thresholds for deprioritization vary by carrier and plan.