Question

Roaming Coverage in Vancouver Metro, Canada

• 8 November 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge

Over the last weekend, I was unable to get data coverage when travelling from US to Canada (Vancouver Metro). I see others comment on this general Canada data issue when roaming,  but no movement. In the Toronto area, I’ve had success when T-mobile allows me to use Bell Canada mobile, but Vancouver - no such luck.

I suspect it doesn’t help that TELUS is involved as an smaller provider - I had temporary luck with manually selecting TELUS 3G, but my settings didn’t seem to persist. 

I have the Canada/Mexico add on plan for US subscribers and voice calls work fine.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@syaoran 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I had this happen once. Try powering your phone on/off and see if that helps. Otherwise you can call call TMO support.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Telus and Bell are essentially the same company.  You can freely roam on to the Bell or Telus networks in Canada.  As a regular traveler to various places in and around southern Ontario, including Toronto.  I haven’t had any complaints with roaming on to Bell or Telus.  T-Mobile does not allow 5G connectiviity when roaming in Canada though.  I am not sure if that is also true for Mexico.  

The Telus side of the network is more GSM friendly.  Bell still has some CDMA deployment that probably isn’t compatible with your device.  Coverage in Vancouver, regardless of carrier, is pretty spotty regardless of the Canadian providers network you are on.  Looking for specific ban deployments for Vancouver and the surrounding area.  The bands below obviously are not deployed everywhere across Canada. 

BELL LTE BANDS

Frequency                                 Band

700 MHz                                        Bands 13, 17, 29

850 MHz                                        Band 5

AWS                                              Band 4

1900 MHz                                      Band 2

2600 MHz                                      Band 7

TELUS LTE BANDS

Frequency                                 Band

700 MHz                                        Bands 13, 17, 29

850 MHz                                        Band 5

AWS                                               Band 4