Question

t mobile internet question

Badge +2

a couple of years ago i got to test one of those what some call a trashcan 5g internet device. it seemed to work well but i could not see my cameras thru it when i was gone, so i sent it back.

so now being they ahve had a couple of years to perfect this unit have they ever got them so you can see your security system when out of the home and gone?

also i was at the t mo store the other day to see if the could help me get my metro phone working and they talked about a new 5g modem, so is that new modem any better and is it the same price for using as the trash can unit?

today i was on the t mo site and typed in my address and it said I'm now not in the coverage area and i can see the 5 g tower out my back door.

when i had the trash can there was a lot of talk of this not working for out of the home type use mostly for security cameras. as that would be the most one would need to see back into the home for. it would be pointless to have this service and then pay for cloud service for cameras 

anyway maybe some have figured this out or t mo has now added it to the firmware.

thanks

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

a couple of years ago i got to test one of those what some call a trashcan 5g internet device. it seemed to work well but i could not see my cameras thru it when i was gone, so i sent it back.

so now being they ahve had a couple of years to perfect this unit have they ever got them so you can see your security system when out of the home and gone?

also i was at the t mo store the other day to see if the could help me get my metro phone working and they talked about a new 5g modem, so is that new modem any better and is it the same price for using as the trash can unit?

today i was on the t mo site and typed in my address and it said I'm now not in the coverage area and i can see the 5 g tower out my back door.

AFAIK, nothing has changed.  Using the gateway still does not assign you a permanent IP address for connection outside of your home to view security devices.

The newer gateway is the same price, but appears to have the same external access problem as the older gateway.  Opinions differ on whether it is better or not.

And, availability of T-Mobile Home Internet is not only based on 5G coverage, but also the number of devices already connected to a cell tower so not to saturate the available bandwidth.

Badge +2

ok it kind of sounds like i had before. when i had the trashcan model like i said i can see the 5g tower from my back your window. and during the tests i would have 100 mbps and then a few moments later it would be maybe 25 mbps. for the most part that would be ok as we do not do heavy internet, just normal looking at ebay doing some research asking forums questions. i did not yet have the tv roku connected tot hat gateway, i spent most of the time getting a router connected to it so i could see my security system on the phone wifi and on my pc app.

i tired to get that trashcan to let me see my network when i was gone but i never got it and this forum talk was this would not work. i guess that is a good thing for security reasons. but i ask just in case t  mo chaged it’s firmware to now allow this kind of usage. back then the most talks was about seeing cameras form away from the home and the most that just quit using them.

so i guess for now when comcast jacks up my bill i will call and and see if they will again lower it. if not i may be forced to get the trashcan again and deal with it.

thanks