Question

5G Mobile Hotspot: location incorrect

• 24 March 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’ve had the 5G Hotspot box for a few months now. I have no specific issues with speed and connection. Sometimes my speeds gets pretty low but that’s only happened a handful of times. 

What I DO have an issue with is location services on my iPhone XR. Often, it shows me at my home address, not at work or wherever. Sometimes it resets to my exact location after a few hours; sometimes not. This doesn’t happen when I’m on the move, walking or driving, and it shows my exact location. But when I am static, any maps app shows me back at my home/billing location.

Anyone else have this problem with the 5G Hotspot? Any fixes? Location corrects itself when I switch to an alternate wifi signal or cellular data, but sometimes resets itself back to my home/billing location. A T-Mo salesperson suggested replacing the battery on the phone but that didn’t solve things either. My privacy/location services settings on the phone are also where they should be.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

are you using the hotspot to give your phone a data connection? does the phone not do this itself without the use of the hotspot?

Userlevel 2
Badge

are you using the hotspot to give your phone a data connection? does the phone not do this itself without the use of the hotspot?

Wifi is my main source for online data, both at home or with the mobile hotspot. Has been for over a decade when I carried both an ipod Touch and a cheap prepaid Android. I have limited cellular data with my iphone and prefer the mobile hotspot when out of the house.

My previous mobile hotspot was a 4G ZTE Z915 that I used from late 2015 to this past January. Had no location quirks when used with any mobile device: phone, ipad, etc. Just this new 5G Hotspot box which places me at my home address from time to time.