Solved

Gateway is NOT dual band, plug and play.

Badge

Gateway advertised as dual band, plug and play. Only one 5G network available. How is this dual band?

icon

Best answer by nc1037 22 April 2024, 14:39

View original

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

You need to create the second band.

https://community.t-mobile.com/gateways-and-devices-37/2-4g-devices-not-connecting-to-t-mobile-home-network-42068

Badge

So like I said, NOT dual band plug and play. They tell me that I am the only one in the world with a non 5g phone that will NOT connect to the 5g ONLY, plug and play Gateway. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Which gateway? Tmobile has a few different ones.

Badge

5G Gateway G4SE-1

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

The gateways are dual-band, by default.  The Wi-Fi network as configured broadcasts in both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands. 

The fact that your phone is not 5G capable is irrelevant. “5G” is not the same thing as “5 GHz”.  If your phone’s Wi-Fi is turned on, it can connect to the Wi-Fi signal that your gateway broadcasts in your home. 

If you’re having trouble, please give us more information, and we’ll try to help.  

Badge

Desk top PC connection to cricket hot spot via wifi, no problem. Desktop PC to t-mobile dual band, plug and play via wifi, not seen. ZTE avid phone connection to cricket hot spot via wifi no problem. ZTE avid phone connection to t-mobile dual band plug and play gateway via wifi, seen but will not connect. No error messages. Amazon fire, a true dual band wifi device,  connection via wifi to cricket hot spot, no problem Lists the hot spot as a 2.4g device. Amazon fire, a true duel band device, connection to t-mobile gateway, no problem. List the gateway as a 5g device. 802.11 designations are hardware specific.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

So you have two devices that won’t connect?  The ZTE phone, and the PC?  Are they older (particularly the PC)? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I will assume the problem is with the security setting of the existing Wi-Fi network on your gateway.  This is a common problem here in the forum.  The default network, which broadcasts in both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, supports WPA2 and WPA3 security and AES encryption mode.  WPA3 is the highest level currently available, but many devices don’t support it.  So WPA2 is there also.  However, many of us have older devices that won’t support WPA2 and/or AES encryption.  So, we need another network that can support WPA and TKIP encryption.

Don’t change your default network, because it is the “best” and several of your devices are connected.  My next post will be detailed instructions on making a second network.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

INSTRUCTIONS

You can have several Wi-Fi networks on the gateway.  You want to leave the default network alone (2.4 & 5 GHz; WPA2/WPA3 and AES security) and add a second, dedicated 2.4 GHz network.  This second network is for devices that can’t connect to the default network.

Add the second network with the + sign at the bottom of the Network tab in the T-Mobile Internet app on your phone.  For this new network, set the band to 2.4 GHz and set the WPA version to WPA/WPA2.  (The encryption will automatically change to “TKIP & AES”)  Try connecting your device to this second network.  Use the default network for your other devices, as much as possible.  Note that WPA/WPA2 (on the second network) is less secure, so I recommend setting this network to be Hidden.  You can Hide it after you get your devices connected to it.

Here are the T-Mobile support instructions for how to add the second network with the app.

Android  How to create additional Wi-Fi networks | T-Mobile Internet app | Android | T-Mobile Support

iOS  How to create additional Wi-Fi networks | T-Mobile Internet app | iOS | T-Mobile Support

Main instructions

Help Center | APP Android | T-Mobile Support

Help Center | APP iOS | T-Mobile Support

Badge

So you missed the part where my zte avid will see the t-mobile gateway but will not connect, no error messages. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I didn’t miss that.  I said, the ZTE phone won’t connect?

Please read my posts very carefully.  I am highly confident that if you do these steps. you will be able to connect your phone and your PC to the second network which you will create.  Then you will be a happy camper.  Really.

EDITED TO ADD:  Are you saying the ZTE phone is how you manage the Gateway?  If that is the case, I suggest having a friend or neighbor come over and try to connect to the existing gateway network.  Have them download the T-Mobile app.  Do the steps on their phone.  Once you can connect your phone to the gateway, you shouldn’t need your friend anymore.

Badge

I have the t-mobile app on my phone. It wants me to connect to the gateway to set up. I turn on wifi, choose the gateway as a connectable device, enter the device password and select connect and nothing. No error messages. How can I set up the gateway with an app on my phone if that phone will not communicate with the gateway?

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

OK, I see.  I did edit my post, as you were posting.  I admit, that is a new situation to me, and I know nothing about ZTE avid phone.  I do think my edited comment about having a neighbor help would work. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Another possible option:  See if the T-Mobile internet app is available for the Amazon Fire, either from the Amazon Appstore or if you can “sideload” from Google Play.

Badge

They tell my that I am the only person in the world that has a non 5g hone that will not connect to a t-mobile dual band plug and play gateway. Your opportunity to make a liar out of me.

Badge

So what you are saying is that I need to buy a new 5g phone for $1000+ in order to make use of gateway?

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

The tech support people don’t have all the answers, so that’s why there are hundreds of troubleshooting discussions in this forum.  I am still confident that you can get your phone to connect.  Don’t get hung up on the fact that your phone isn’t 5G.  Mine isn’t either.